Pro Gear without a clicker Models?

Started by gstours, April 13, 2017, 03:55:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

Another dumb question? ???    I,m hearing the PG 545 has no clicker.  Is that correct?
   Does the Yellotail Special have a clicker?   I want to build a good halibut reel for jig fishing.     Thanks for answers.     gst

MarkT

They came both ways.  As I recall, the early ones didn't have clickers.  My 545 has one.

Bryan's 255 and 545 have clickers in this post: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=21293.0
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Maxed Out

Quote from: gstours on April 13, 2017, 03:55:18 PM
Another dumb question? ???    I,m hearing the PG 545 has no clicker.  Is that correct?
   Does the Yellotail Special have a clicker?   I want to build a good halibut reel for jig fishing.     Thanks for answers.     gst

I'd recommend a 541 which is the same exact as 545, but just a bit wider and would give you a bit more line capacity for those big butts. Once you get past the top 3rd of the spool, your line retrieve is drastically reduced and the skinny 545 might not leave you enough line to feel comfortable bottom fishing deep water.

We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

MarkT

Quote from: Maxed Out on April 13, 2017, 07:51:52 PM
Quote from: gstours on April 13, 2017, 03:55:18 PM

I'd recommend a 541 which is the same exact as 545, but just a bit wider and would give you a bit more line capacity for those big butts. Once you get past the top 3rd of the spool, your line retrieve is drastically reduced and the skinny 545 might not leave you enough line to feel comfortable bottom fishing deep water.

Or an Albacore Special 540 with 3.6:1 gears for winching them up.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Bryan Young

The 545 can have a clicker. The YTS also has a clicker. The 454 probably does not have a clicker.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

handi2

I have a couple of 541's new in the box if your thinking of getting one.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

SoCalAngler

The YTS has a clicker like stated and the 545's, the earlier years didn't have one but I think it was the last year or two of these reels ProGear added a clicker or was that the 454's or both? I can't really remember, sorry

SoCalAngler

I bought this as more of a collectors piece and it has only went on one trip and fished for two drops. I just can't bring myself to fish this reel, so it sits here unused. I may be willing to sell this reel but just like all collector's stuff and mod'ed reels I will never get the money I put into this reel back out. But's that my reel problem :)

This reel has a 5+1 carbontex drag up grade which produces more than 23 of drag, a stainless gear shaft and has custom double dogs done by me. The double dogs are alternating to reduce handle play and comes 300 yards of 60 lb Seaguar Kranzen braided line topped by around 75-100 yards of Izor 50 lb XXX mono. I never got into the braid on the two drops when I fished this reel and it was fully serviced with TSI 321 on the spool bearings, Cal's on the carbon fiber and a light coat of grease on all internal parts.

Price out the pieces and mods your looking to do then see if handi's reels fit what your looking to do first. If you like more narrow reels backed by braid then maybe I have what you are looking for, but you will not get my reel for a budget price, though you will have a one of a kind reel.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=9544.0

Good luck with your build.

Bryan Young

Gary,

What are you hoping for?  What size?  With or without clicker?

I'm sure someone, including me, may have what you are looking for.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Rancanfish

Bryan, I'm on my way to the post office with a YTS for Gary. 

With his skills this thing will be the bomb for halibut.  I know he's got plans because he asked me to take it apart and lose the plain gear and handle.   ;D
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Bryan Young

Anticipation, anticipation, he's making us wait...

gstours

Thanks folks for the info,  I did get a good offer from mr. Rancanfish, and so thats nice of him as well,  I can,t wait for the new arrival! :)
   Seems like the pressure will be on to post its progress?   and maybe a butt picture or 2?   Everyone here has been very helpful.   Thanks.