Loreto

Started by SoCalAngler, April 15, 2017, 06:57:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCalAngler

I got a quick report from my good friend Rick Hill at Sea and Land Tours in Loreto. Rick sent me a few photos about what is happening on the local scene there. I wont bore you with the wide open Cabrilla bite on many very nice fish or the great bait reports. Though I will share this, the nice sized yellowtail have started to move in with good numbers.

But, there is always a good chance of catching a true Sea Monster in the Loreto area. When it takes two people to hold a gaff on a already passed away fish you can be sure it is not a little guy.

I really don't have great details about the catch, like what bait, reel used or what lb test to land the fish. I know some here read the BD Baja Bytes reports and I'm sure you will see this fish in there. Why? All the Loreto reports come from Rick.

I will be there in late June fishing with Rick and my father on my dads boat, just like I have done for the last 8 years, and you may never know maybe I will be lucky enough to catch the biggest fish of the tourney.I have only done so twice. 

David Hall

Man oh man that is one big fish.  Talk to Rick get the details and bring em back to us.  And take lots of Picks when you go down.

Swami805

I love Loreto. They have some big yellowtail down there too.  Looking forward to your reports
Do what you can with that you have where you are

SoCalAngler

Ok, Rick reported back and the details are the fish was caught on a live mackerel using a Penn 113H which are standard panga boat reels, 40 lb test and a 40 lb fluoro leader. Most captains like using 60-80 leaders but the clients brought their own leaders so that's what was used. Captain Tony was running the boat. Tony is a great capt/man he was the one to suggest where we try a spot last year where I caught the tourneys largest fish. The area fished for this catch was the Punta Lobo off the north east end of Carmen island.

Maybe we should set up a group trip to Loreto. I have not checked costs but I would imagine it would cost the same or maybe even less to fly, stay and fish Loreto then it would be to go to Cedros. Cedros offers world class Calico bass, there not in the sea of Cortez and great yellowtail along with other fish for sure but depending on time of year Loreto offers the best cabrilla (calico bass on steroids IMO) fish, yellowtail, amber, almaco, jack crevalle, world class dorado, sails, marlin and many other fish, too many to mention here.

If others would like to do a group trip let me know and I will start to check prices.

swill88

Mark,

I'm in.  PM sent.

Thanks for the pics.

Steve

SoCalAngler

Yeah Steve, got your PM. The trip would be for next year though I might be back in Loreto in mid to late October again this year. There many nice hotels and a few very good fishing outfits to choose from, but the time of year will dictate the fishing opportunities. Early in the year the north winds blow, around this time of year they start to ease but there many windy days. April and May good yellowtail, cabrilla, pargo, grouper and others. June is a transition month, yellows move deeper but can still be had and the dorado, sails and marlin start to move in. July it starts to get very hot both weather wise and fishing, bigger dorado, sails and marlin, both stripers and blues, though blues are a much more rare catch. For me I will fish up to the first week of July as is just gets so hot there, then I will stay away until about mid October then the weather starts to cool off but the fishing can still be very hot.

Loreto has a micro climate that can keep it warmer air temp wise than other places further south like La Paz and even Cabo at times.

If people want to have the best shot in the world to catch a marlin, Cabo's east cape would be my first choice, running second would be Los Arenas, and third would be La Paz and Loreto. With so many islands close to Loreto it really offers some of the most interesting and varied fishing one can find without having to run great distances.

Within a 1-2 miles from shore you can find water over 1,000 feet deep in some areas with reefs and high spots 150 feet deep or long flats of sandy beaches or rocky structure near islands. It is really mind boggling the diversification of structure in the marine environment and the different species to be had in such a close area from one another.