proper way to fill a spinning reel

Started by Swami805, April 16, 2017, 04:07:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swami805

Greetings, I was wondering the best way to fill a spinning reel with mono. Do you set the spool of new line on it's side so the line comes off in coils or pull the line off as the spool turns with something thru the center? Does it matter? Thanks Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

oc1

First you have to decide if you want the line to be twisted going on to the reel or twisted coming off of the reel.
-steve

handi2

Set the spool down so the line comes off the spool in the same direction that it goes on the reel.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Tiddlerbasher

Shimano (and I believe Daiwa) recommend loading a spinner the same way as a conventional - with a rotating spool of line. For a spinner this means the line will be twisted going onto the reel BUT it will untwist when you cast. I have been doing it this way forever (almost).

If you try and load line off the end of the spool of line it will be fine on the spool but twisted when you cast. Your choice, I know which I prefer.
If you spool with braid it's not so noticeable.

Swami805

Thanks, I finished the rod for the Dam Quick 2 speed and thought I'd give it a try next trip. Don't really use spinners, sounds like either way should work okay. Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Gfish

Good info. guys. Been doin' it the way a the reel and line spools face each other, line moving the same direction as you wind. Always wondered why there were still some twists... If I'm rememberin right p.pro spectra recomends the conventional style for spinners(I better check this one, though).Gonna try this way next time. Wouldn't think the factory would load the spools with twists.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

oc1

My experience is that if the line is twisted as it is going onto the spool it may have a tendency to try to jump off the spool if given slack, especially if the line is a little stiff like mono.  If the line is twisted as it is cast off the spool, it may have a tendency to make little ringlets which can turn into wind knots if given slack, especially if the line is very limp like braid.  The solution is simple; use a conventional reel   :)
-steve

foakes

I use a lot of mono --

Even with fresh mono --  coil memory can occur.

Just secure the line to a solid object like a fencepost or tree -- back off about 2/3rds of the line -- keeping your rod straight, yank or pull a few times to stretch the line.  The coils will disappear -- and the line will be straight.

Or, if trolling, just let out most of your line -- then pull it a few times with the rod straight and not bent.

Shouldn't have as much of an issue with braid.

Just old-school fashion -- but it works just fine.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

The Fishing Hobby

Quote from: foakes on April 17, 2017, 09:23:32 PM
I use a lot of mono --

Even with fresh mono --  coil memory can occur.

Just secure the line to a solid object like a fencepost or tree -- back off about 2/3rds of the line -- keeping your rod straight, yank or pull a few times to stretch the line.  The coils will disappear -- and the line will be straight.

Or, if trolling, just let out most of your line -- then pull it a few times with the rod straight and not bent.

Shouldn't have as much of an issue with braid.

Just old-school fashion -- but it works just fine.

Best,

Fred
That is a good idea. I pull mono and fluorocarbon leaders straight for Tenkara fishing and for some reason the thought never crossed my mind to do it with a spinning reel.

Midway Tommy

QuoteOr, if trolling, just let out most of your line -- then pull it a few times with the rod straight and not bent.
I exclusively use mono, Trilene XL, to be candid. You can also do this with no lure or weight, just raw line, nothing else. Works good at fairly high speeds, and when you reel in memory has all but vanished, my dad does it all the time. I opt for the fasten & stretch method. Been doing that for over 30 years anytime my setup has gone unfished for more than a month or so. I can't stand memory & looping.  >:(
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Decker

Quote from: Midway Tommy on April 26, 2017, 07:06:05 PM
QuoteOr, if trolling, just let out most of your line -- then pull it a few times with the rod straight and not bent.
I exclusively use mono, Trilene XL, to be candid. You can also do this with no lure or weight, just raw line, nothing else. Works good at fairly high speeds, and when you reel in memory has all but vanished, my dad does it all the time. I opt for the fasten & stretch method. Been doing that for over 30 years anytime my setup has gone unfished for more than a month or so. I can't stand memory & looping.  >:(

Yeah, I've done that off the back of a boat headed out to sea...  Just feed out some mono with nothing tied on it off the back of the boat at cruising speed.  As it feeds out, there is enough resistance on it to stretch (and presumably untwist) the mono.