Main Menu

Easter Tri Tip

Started by Bill B, April 17, 2017, 04:50:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

I was tired of the usual Easter Ham or turkey, so convinced the wife into a piece of beef.  Came home with a bag of Costco tri tips. marinated in lemon juice, soy sauce, garlic, powdered brown gravy mix, olive oil, and sugar.  Into the refrigerator overnite and onto the smoker for 5 hrs.  Add foil wrapped corn and some brown and serve bread at the end.  Only thing I would change for the marinade is some red pepper flakes. Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Todd Jacobsen

Bill- That's looks awesome.

thorhammer

Wow. Tasty looking brother. Haven't cooked those. 

ChileRelleno

Nice looking cook.

I'll have to try the Brown Gravy Mix in a marinade, never heard of that and sounds good.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

conchydong

Quote from: ChileRelleno on April 18, 2017, 12:56:18 AM
Nice looking cook.

I'll have to try the Brown Gravy Mix in a marinade, never heard of that and sounds good.

Agreed. Probably a lot of extra beef flavor.

Bill B

The inclusion of the gravy mix was an intriguing idea passed along to me, I do believe it added robust beef flavor, I used the Tony Chacheri's Brown Gravy Mix.  5 hrs was a little too long on the smoker it was medium well inside, 4 hrs would be better. Can't wait until I get back home to do this again...And Chili when you open your restaurant I will volunteer to be your Sous chef....as log as I get to take home the left overs  ;)....Bill

ChileRelleno

Quote from: TARFU on April 18, 2017, 02:44:01 AM
The inclusion of the gravy mix was an intriguing idea passed along to me, I do believe it added robust beef flavor, I used the Tony Chacheri's Brown Gravy Mix.  5 hrs was a little too long on the smoker it was medium well inside, 4 hrs would be better. Can't wait until I get back home to do this again...And Chili when you open your restaurant I will volunteer to be your Sous chef....as log as I get to take home the left overs  ;)....Bill
Yeah, that is what I thought, a hearty meatiness that would go well with the soy sauce.
I can taste it already on another London Broil or maybe some smoked sirloin.

Medium well, isn't that another term for cremated?   ;D
Meat knows nothing about time, internal temp is everything so my instant read, probe thermometer is my best tool.

What I'd really need is a Sous who is an accomplished combination of Baucher/Rotissuer/Grillardin aka Pitmaster.
With a cadre of Commis who'd be the ones to mind the smoker for those long nights that are the start of every business day.
Ragnar Benson:
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Bill B

Hmmmmmm Chili, get some youngens to chop and stack the wood, tend the fire, and fetch the beer... ::)  Sign me up bro I'll bring my teenagers and pit the fixin's while you tend the customers....WoooHoooo....when do I start?!?!?  ;D Bill

ChileRelleno

Quote from: TARFU on April 19, 2017, 03:01:51 AM
Hmmmmmm Chili, get some youngens to chop and stack the wood, tend the fire, and fetch the beer... ::)  Sign me up bro I'll bring my teenagers and pit the fixin's while you tend the customers....WoooHoooo....when do I start?!?!?  ;D Bill
When I can round up the approx 250K + start-up funds, find an affordable lease in an area grossly under served for good BBQ, in an area that won't decide the smoke from my pits is a health hazard or detrimental to quality of life in the immediate area, find a source for Beef Short Ribs that won't bankrupt me - same goes for a Oak/Hickory source, find two or three quality/used 250-500 sq ft reverse flow wood fired pits and, and, and, and, and.....
And have the guts to run with the ball knowing there's an average 60%+ failure in the first three years for BBQ joints.

Do you have any idea the amount of food that goes to waste in a new BBQ shack that is trying to build a customer base?
They don't really throw food out... They throw money into a dumpster and cry in their beer... If they can afford the beer.
I just couldn't do it.
Ragnar Benson:

Bill B

hey brother....i living Calif. the song from the Mamas and Papas comes to mind...."California Dreaming on such a summer's day"....Cheers my Grillin' Brother   ;D  Bill

Shark Hunter

Sounds like you have did a bit of research John Boy.
You guys just keep on cooking and smoking and eating.
If it makes you and your Family Happy, It can't be bad. ;)
Life is Good!