Need replacement roller for penn rod

Started by Chuki, April 17, 2017, 08:50:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuki

Hello guys.
I'm hoping that you can identify roller guides on this rod I got. It is penn med marlin tuna special 80lb all roller rod. Top stripper guide roller and screw are missing and I would like to get replacement roller. I emailed Aftco - it's not their guide, penn didn't answer my mail...
I would like to replace the roller as a quick fix so the rod can be fished this season, I'll probably have the rod rewrapped  but not until winter. Pics are attached, number on the guide is 23.

Thanks!

conchydong

It sure looks like the Aftco shape but if Aftco says it is not theirs than it is probably a Chinese knock off of a Aftco. I would be willing to bet that a Aftco roller would work in it even if Aftco won't acknowledge it.

droppedit

I'd take the bottom roller off and go to a tackle shop that does repairs. If it is the same as an Aftco, then they should have what you need. The top and bottom of that roller should be identical but if an import there is no guaranty. Hope this helps.

Dave
Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

http://www.turnerscustomrods.com

Chuki

Thanks for replies. Tackle shop is not an option, I'm situated far away from tackle shops.. :-). I was hoping to find and order replacement roller. Aftco stripper guides have slightly different design(pic attached), maybe older styles??

droppedit

If your not in a big hurry you can mail the lower roller to me and I can match it up with a used one I have or I can size it and get a new one for you. I'll be out of town for about 10 days but will jump right on it. There might be others closer that can do the same. PM me for my address.

Dave
Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

http://www.turnerscustomrods.com

doradoben

Your original post says the rod is a Penn. Does it have a Penn logo or say Penn on the rod? The Aftco Heavy Duty guides that would probably match the line test printed on your rod might be (numbers) 51, 41, 31 and the tip number would be determined by the diameter of the end of the blank.

Chuki

Quote from: doradoben on April 17, 2017, 10:37:37 PM
Your original post says the rod is a Penn. Does it have a Penn logo or say Penn on the rod? The Aftco Heavy Duty guides that would probably match the line test printed on your rod might be (numbers) 51, 41, 31 and the tip number would be determined by the diameter of the end of the blank.
Yes it is a penn rod, but probably not sold in US, I got it used with an Everol 14/0 reel, it has been fished hard judging from the state it is in. I like the extra lenght in blank, and I would like to try it against my okuma makaira 80lb  rods which are quite stiff. As you can see I've removed the ferrule because the blank had  play in it. I don't want to put much  money in this rod because I can get great prices on Okuma rods locally(80lb,full bb alps rollers, alps aluminium butt,... for under 300$), but I would like to try something different that will suit my needs better.
Rod will be used on bft ranging from 100 - 350lb, and used from bow mounted chair.

Quote from: droppedit on April 17, 2017, 04:08:43 PM
If your not in a big hurry you can mail the lower roller to me and I can match it up with a used one I have or I can size it and get a new one for you. I'll be out of town for about 10 days but will jump right on it. There might be others closer that can do the same. PM me for my address.

Dave
Thanks for very kind offer, I'll send you a PM!
Cheeers

Ante