some spinning reels I’d like to investigate for carbon drag washer compatibility

Started by mangrove, April 17, 2017, 07:29:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mangrove

I have some light tackle spinning reels I'd like to investigate for carbon drag washer compatibility:

Shimano Symetre 2000FG & 2500FI

Cabela's prodigy 2500 (actually a version of a Daiwa Capricorn 2500A)

Daiwa SS2-2500C

These are all felt washer drags that I would like to have a lighter startup with.

Question, I see that several new reels are using carbon washers with an ID greater than the shaft, like a donut. Is there an advantage to this vs. a full circle disk?

Thanks folks!

oc1

The drag washers with a large I.D. usually have a domed compression plate.  So, even if you use a drag washer with more surface area the compression plate will still make contact only at the edge.

Carbontex will allow you to increase the drag pressure.  However, the felt washers often provide enough pressure while making the drag very smooth.  Try it both ways and then decide.
-steve

foakes

One can also just impregnate the felt washer discs with synthetic oil or Cals drag grease aa the result will be steady smoothness at all levels from lightest to lockdown.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mangrove

Quote from: foakes on April 17, 2017, 09:56:40 PM
One can also just impregnate the felt washer discs with synthetic oil or Cals drag grease aa the result will be steady smoothness at all levels from lightest to lockdown.

Best,

Fred

Oh well, so much for that idea, I'll guess I'll have to find something else to tinker with!  :P
Custom paint jobs for the reel housings?

Cone

Don't give up. I have a few reels that I swapped the felt washers for carbontex. Just measure them and replace them with carbon fiber. Penn washers will probably be the most economical but Dawn at Smooth drag can help you match something up. On an older Shimano I have I had to  order washers with the right outside diameter but I had to drill out the inside to fit.   Good luck!
Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Tiddlerbasher

It is still worth upgrading to cf. It probably won't give more drag but when greased with Cal's it will be smooth and predictable. In my experience it also lasts longer and requires less attention. All of my felt drag reels have had cf fitted. I cut my own washers from a sheet it's a lot cheaper ;)

Gfish

What these guys said. Also, I've read somewhere here that long hard runs on the drag can burn the felt washers.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

handi2

Whenever I get one in with felt they go out with Carbontex. Dawn has them for the Shimano. You will have measure the ones from the other reel. She will have them too.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

handi2

Quote from: Gfish on April 22, 2017, 04:41:43 PM
What these guys said. Also, I've read somewhere here that long hard runs on the drag can burn the felt washers.
Gfish

Yes they will burn up. Especially on a fish like a Jack Cravalle. One of my inshore customers I take care of pulled up to my dock, ran into the shop, and grabbed a set for a Shimano Ci4 3000 that just got burned up from that fish.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL