United Composites US80 Tilefish for Jeff Davis

Started by Jon Vadney, April 18, 2017, 10:35:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

natch!

It's a beaut! Somehow subtle and flashy at the same time.
It's set up differently from most, with the trigger seat and cork. How will it be used?

Jack

Rivverrat

Quote from: natch! on April 18, 2017, 10:56:10 PM
It's a beaut! Somehow subtle and flashy at the same time.

Jon could not have captured / built any better what I was wanting.

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Rivverrat

Quote from: natch! on April 18, 2017, 10:56:10 PM

It's set up differently from most, with the trigger seat and cork. How will it be used?

Most of my life has been spent dreaming of & desiring that perfect go to rod. The rod I grab most & that stays in my hands when used. A rod & reel combo that is reasonably light & is more than able to go against the biggest fish I may ever encounter any time under any circumstance.

This rod will be used on the river in my endeavor for a record catfish. It will take a little time to see if this is "THAT" rod. However if not & the search continues Jon's work will most certainly adorn my nest blank.... .

I am forever grateful for having found this sight & through this having come to a greater understanding of what makes a good reel & rod great for the task at hand ....Jeff

alantani

i've got 8 of jon's rods now.  true works of art!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Jeffro

Awesome as always!  Great to see these customs.  Email sent btw.

Alto Mare

Beautiful job Jon, love that purple, black and silver combination.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

natch!

I thought this rod was going to be used for something other than the live bait tuna fishing I'm used to seeing. I thought maybe some kind of jigging or maybe tile fishing  :o, which I know nothing about,But I never considered cat fishing. Now that I see who the rod is for I understand, I've been following your reel selection adventures.
 If the blank characteristics prove suitable you've got a rod that should be more than a match for the baddest catfish. And should you decide to go off shore, you're set.
 The UC's are awesome, light & powerful, and Jon builds the best stuff, I've got a Calstar 700XH he built.
 I can't wait to see a photo of a record breaker.

Jack

What reel do you plan on using?

MarkT

Beautiful! I have the factory version that I picked up last month at the Long Beach FHS.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Rivverrat

Quote from: natch! on April 19, 2017, 12:36:02 AM
What reel do you plan on using?

Reel....I could write a book about my search.   34 years ago with my grandpa laughing so hard he was farting as I was having a nuclear melt down on the bank of the Kansas River. All because my reel had just gone knuckle buster then locked up & broke the rod. Fishes tail slapped the surface & he was gone . I've no patience for ones that dont work right for a good period of time.

I did think about an improved US 113 but Randy's CP 70HP is just a perfect match for those reels.
For right now Ive chosen the Andros 12. I have 3 of them.  . They can can do 25 lbs. of drag when needed. Some fish the Andros 12's at this level all the time. I dont reccomend it. However 25 lbs. of very smooth drag & a little bit more is there when needed. This rod will fish 60  "MAYBE" more. Until I know for sure  I will drop the tip when ever I might need to crank the drag up....Jeff  

MarkT

Mine feels good with 13-17# of drag. I'll be using an Avet JX Raptor with 50#.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Rivverrat

Quote from: MarkT on April 19, 2017, 02:25:15 AM
Mine feels good with 13-17# of drag. I'll be using an Avet JX Raptor with 50#.
Yup I agree the one I palyed with had a JX on it. Going past 17 - 18 lbs. of drag with this blank most definetly changes the dynamics of this rod very quickly. The bottom portion is the same as a UC 8' Wahoo rated up to 80 lb. line.

So the 8' Tilefish is the same as a Wahoo but with a size 8 tip vs the size 10 tip of the Wahoo.... Jeff

Shark Hunter

Enjoy that rod Jeff.
It doesn't get any better.
Solid Work Jon. ;)
Life is Good!

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.