handle upgrade - avet

Started by alantani, January 29, 2009, 07:17:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

there are currently 4 different handle grips found on stock avet reels.   the three aluminum grips are easily changed.  the newer rubber grip found on the newer sx through hx is not.  

i decided to adapt my kolekar grips to fit the older model avets.  i have small inventories of all the grips shown below.  from left to right, the stock avet 4/0 grip is $12, the stock avet 5/0 grip is $12, the kolekar 4/0 grip is $14, and the kolekar 6/0 grip is $20.  these prices all include domestic shipping.  

mounting hardware will be included if needed.  

here's with the sx looks like with a 4/0 kolekar grip.  it's the same diameter but much lighter than the avet 5/0 grip.  

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

QuoteIt arrived today.  The grip is great, but the small insert/knob (with diag tread) that came was slightly smaller than the original one inside the original Avet grip. It seems the original one has a pin attached to the insert/knob to take up a small gap (avet design consideration?). See the right one in picture (attached).  I took some time to find a old washer (not the same size and non standard steel) to insert into it temporarily and managed to get the grip attached - that make the handle attachment less wobbling that without it. If you happen to have one that fits, I don't mind to have it. Thanks for the handle, I like it.

i believe that point is left over from the manufacturing process and would normally be removed.  when you tighten down on the screw, the handle should have been tight.   either way the handle is tight, right?  thank!  alan

alantani

Alan,
I wanted to give you a quick thanks for installing one of your handles on my Avex LX this past winter. As you can see I have been putting it to use. Despite being a single, high speed reel, your handle give me the torque I need to winch up this Halibut up here in Alaska.

All the best,
Conor

Hogginhank

I'm sure I read it on the forum somewhere but does this grip just slide over the existing shaft that is riveted onto the handle or is this the set up that you have to drill out with the 3/16" bit and replace? If it is a straight up replacement then I will pm you and order a couple 4/0 K grips for my SX and MXL. Thanks Alan. Hank

alantani

if you have the older style, then the grip will slide over the existing spindle that is riveted to the arm.  it's amazingly simple.

bmullaney

Hi Alan - I have two AVET LX's that I would like to upgrade the handles on. Which of your handles would you recommend? I use them primarily for Deep Drop Tiles fishing on the Atlantic which requires anywhere from 20-48 oz plus of lead.

And thank you for sharing your wealth of knowledge with the fishing world!

Brian Mullaney

alantani

the 6/0 grips really are best.  send me an email with your address and i can get them shipped out.  it's important, do you have aluminum grips or rubber grips?

bmullaney

thanks Alan - the LX's have the rubber grip. Probably better to send to you?? I can follow basic instructions but that is about it (my girlfriend would agree) :D

cold waters

I am a little confused here... I am looking to upgrade the handle on my HX 2 speed.  I have the standard rubber oval grip and would like to go to a T bar of sorts.  can I just change the knob or do I have to do the entire crank

alantani

you would have to drill out the old handle grip, save the arm and  bolt the new grip onto the old arm.

cold waters

have you seen or heard of any problems with that nut and bolt combo coming loose?  which size grip would you pick the large or med one?

I suppose drilling this out shouldnt be attempted unless I have a drill press?  if so I guess i finally have a reason to get a drill press.

LTM

Alan,

Do you offer the new 5/0 grip for this Avet swap?

Leo

alantani

no, i have dozens of these old grips left.  i should see about getting them turned on a lathe to match the current design. 

LTM

They wouldnt be "old" anymoe with the update. I was specifically interested in one in the 5/0 size if you decide to do it.

Thanx,

Leo