Penn Senator handle complete disassembly

Started by Clinton LBG, April 19, 2017, 04:35:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

I'm going to try to say what Rudy said in different words. I think. What you are referring to as a "rivet" is an inner shaft. The outer shaft, attached to the handle, rotates around it. The part that sticks out is what would go through the handle arm and then be peened (smashed) on the back side of the arm to hold it all together. When they say you are better off finding a complete replacement I think they are right - it's the practical solution.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

foakes

Good explanations, gentlemen --

And Rudy is right, that old spindle can be drilled out -- and the new one you can install by peening the brass inner rod onto to the backside.

Here are the problems (but you may just want to go ahead and putter around with the handle -- and that is perfectly fine -- you will learn, and so will we) :

-- A hand peened or knurled over brass knob shaft will never be as strong as one from the factory -- you get exactly one chance to do it right the first time -- meaning if too loose, things will be prone to bending and not spinning true -- too tight, and you are also done.

-- if increasing the drag stack numbers, and fishing sharks -- the stock handle will not be a long lasting part of your 12/0.

-- if it were mine (only my opinion) I would get an aftermarket handle and blade like Daron has pictured, a drag stack from one of our engineering wizards -- and use that for actual shark fishing -- that would be my minimum.  Then just pop off the fighting handle and install the amber handle when on display.  Process takes about 4 minutes.

This experience on this site can help with nearly anything you need -- we all learn from each other.

Looking forward to your sharking adventure photos --

Let us know if you need anything...

Best Always,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Clinton LBG

Thanks guys some really good Advice. I will focus on replacing the knob onto the original spindle I think.

Fred what do you mean when you say the stock handle will not be a long lasting part on the reel? Are they prone to failing? Or will I want to change out?
\_____)\_____
/--v____ __`<         
        )/           
        '

foakes

Aftermarket upgraded handles are made out of SS -- the blade and the knob spindle.

They are machined to perfection with no slop.

No chromed over brass, or brass peened holder -- all SS with no tolerance or shifting -- SS keeper lock screw --and with a shark on the North end of your outfit -- any weak link will become readily apparent.

And a mansized handle knob that is ergonomically comfortable for more torque.

I know some folks catch sharks with fly rods -- so it is always the Angler's decision.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Alto Mare

Hello Clinton, sorry I just saw your posting, maybe it isn't too late.
Mike made a nice press to remove the knobs, it doesn't appear to be too complicated to make, but might not be worth it if you're only doing one. So I will show you my method as well, but only if I find mine.

Here is Mike's:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=13124.msg130901#msg130901

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Clinton LBG

That's a good little write up there alto! I was thinking of drilling it out
\_____)\_____
/--v____ __`<         
        )/           
        '

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Clinton LBG

Wow Sal that works so well mate thanks for those quality videos that I think a lot of senator guys need to see!!! I thought about the press but reading some posts about guys breaking their knobs put me off a little. My new one is in good condition no cracks so I'm not as scared now. The only thing that is bugging me is that my new handle has the bigger style oil hole and my old one had the small hole. What is the difference between the two? And does anybody have a spare big hole cap/plug to go into the knob that they could part with?
\_____)\_____
/--v____ __`<         
        )/           
        '