Papa Smurf. Boats, and Thorhammer off to Bahamas

Started by thorhammer, April 19, 2017, 12:27:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

My neighbor Dennis the Menace and wife Ebay are headed to outuslands for 30th anni, and invited us along as well friends crystal and ed. Ed is about to retire from USCG in June as a Chief Bosun, and a hundred ton license. Doesn't get any better than that to bring your on captain when renting s sled for a week, and papa smurf won't get up early to fish. He's entertainment value lol.  I wanted to go ahead and start a thread to detail full prep, logistics, what works and what doesn't for outislands in May  .   

Dominick is giving me a second shot with the Tank so it's particulars will get covered on the Tank Travels thread.

I'm supplying just about everything so I figure this will be s good exercise to see how to cover blue water, reef and flats with bare essentials for weight.  Kind of like hiking, it must be necessary or doesn't make the cut. 

More to come.  First is to make "want list" and pare it to need list. Then see what resupply is available on this little Cay, beyond ballyhoo.  Don't want to check lead in my luggage if I can avoid it...

sdlehr

John, I'm jealous. Have a great time, and take lots of pics. Remember how we won't believe anything you tell us without them :)

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

El Pescador

John!  Buddy Boy!!!

Where in the Bahamas will you be visiting & fishing??

I was in the Berry Islands in 2008 for this bonefish!!  Remote as all get out for sure.

Make sure you have someone make you Conch Salad with blood oranges & little HOT green peppers.  YOU will thank me!

Keep us posted and tight lines to all.

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

David Hall

Sounds like a wonderful tropical adventure.  Lots a pics please.  I'll never make there during this lifetime so I'm counting on your detailed report and pics.

Dominick

John I just hit the panic button.  When are you leaving?  I'll get the Tank off asap.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

thorhammer

A week from Sat.  I gotta get Daron's braces out in the same timeframe lol.

Dominick

Quote from: thorhammer on April 19, 2017, 10:31:06 PM
Okay, I have time.  I have to put the eccentric arm from Ted on.  PM me your address.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

ReelFishingProblems

Have good time John, lookin forward to a trip report so I know how to plan my family trip. Just throw in some non-fishing stuff so I can sell the wife on it

reelrepair123

have a fantastic time  john,  enjoy.    harryk

Swami805

Sounds like a great trip, looking forward to some pictures. Hope you hank one on the tank!
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Shark Hunter

Quote from: thorhammer on April 19, 2017, 10:31:06 PM
Don't sweat it John. I have plenty of big reels to fish. ;)
Life is Good!

thorhammer

Ok so clearly I've been thinking about the load out plus other requirements for a while. I'm currently practicing drinking overpriced beer in airport (Newarmpitark) so I'll have that dialed in. I've a minute to drink warm coors light for $11 each while listening to club music... my other favorite.  Stick Daron's 20/0 circle in my eye please...so:

Thought about everything I'd need to bounce Out Island. I always start phone, wallet, keys , passport. I can make most things happen from there. Take small charging battery. Passport in date.

Next, tackle. I can buy a tee if needed.

Tank (on way from left coast; I will replace delrin under gear with carbontex to see if Sal has enough reach to get me knee-capped that far south 😎 but Bry likes it.  Aren't I supposed to screw the bearing all the way down or something too? Forget. 

thorhammer

Tank will get planer rod most likely to get bit. Aftco al butt Int SU.

Two 30 STW on Int SU Tuna Sticks

Three 30 Int on same.  Gonna try to troll six but this boat doesn't have outriggers so we'll see...

560LL Slammer for pitch bait, jigging, poppers

360 Slammer for sabiki, bonefish. Light stuff.

May fit in a Cortez Jiggy somewhere cause it should be...

Buddy is bringing pitch rod 5500SS and two fly rods.

El Pescador

John,

IN all this yak'n, did you say where in the Bahamas you are traveling & fishing????

Thanks ;D

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!