9'2", 9'6" and 10' popping rods for yellowtail and tuna

Started by ksong, April 22, 2017, 09:27:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ksong

9'2" and 9'6" Black Hole Striper as well as 10' Black Hole Yellowtail spinning rods are coming in early May.

9'2" is very light and you can target yt using 3/4 - 3 oz lures while 9'6" is good for 2 - 5 oz lures.
10' Black Hole Yellowtail spinning rods are good for yt and yellowfin or bluefin upto 80 lb using 2 - 6 oz lures.

The 10' Yellowtail Special conventional rods wil be here by mid June.

Cor

These are just the rods I need.   Are they 2 piece?
Cornelis

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

ksong

Quote from: Cor on April 23, 2017, 06:05:02 AM
These are just the rods I need.   Are they 2 piece?
Yes, they are two-piece with 40:60 split.

ksong

Quote from: Bryan Young on April 23, 2017, 07:55:05 AM
Th 9'2" sounds interesting.
The 9'2" is light and looks fragile. But i landed 30 plus lb drum using 20 plus lb drag with the rod.
It looks the rod can handle 20 - 30 lb yt or more.

Bryan Young

Quote from: ksong on April 23, 2017, 12:10:33 PM
The 9'2" is light and looks fragile. But i landed 30 plus lb drum using 20 plus lb drag with the rod.
I fish a lot of lures that are in the 1 - 2 oz range.  Sounds like this would be the perfect rod.

Let me know when it's available.

Thank you.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

ksong

Quote from: Bryan Young on April 23, 2017, 03:15:50 PM
Quote from: ksong on April 23, 2017, 12:10:33 PM
I fish a lot of lures that are in the 1 - 2 oz range.  Sounds like this would be the perfect rod.

Let me know when it's available.

Thank you.
I didn't know some use such a light lures.
The blanks are here and the rods are coming by the end of April or early May 2017,

here is a picture of drum caught with the light 9'2" rod

and testing 21 lb drag with the rod.

Newell Nut

That is an impressive test, I have a friend that wants me to build him a 9'6" rod for snapper fishing so your 9' 6" may be strong enough for bottom fishing and heavy drag.
What does the blank weigh?

ksong

Quote from: Newell Nut on April 24, 2017, 01:47:08 AM
That is an impressive test, I have a friend that wants me to build him a 9'6" rod for snapper fishing so your 9' 6" may be strong enough for bottom fishing and heavy drag.
What does the blank weigh?
Snapper fishingfor bottome fishing ?  I am curious why you need such a long rod for snapper fishing. :)
The 9'6" blank weighs 7 oz and it is much stronger than the 9'2" and you can give more drag than the 9'2"rod.
I feel the rod can handle any size of yellowtail or small tuna under 50 lb.

ksong

We will have 10' Black Hole Yellowtail rod by early May with which you catch yellowtail, tuna upto 80 lb or wahoo.

Newell Nut

The reason some like the longer rod for snappers is the ability to take up slack or stretch from mono in the hook set. The downside in my opinion is the leverage factor trying to lift a heavy fish. It is easier with a shorter rod. Personally I would not go over 8' 6" and I may try one of your blanks in that range Just not sure which one it would be.

ksong

I still don't get the idea of using long rods for snapper as we usually use braid line.
I recommend to use 6'2" Black Hole Cape Cod Tai (snapper) blank or 6'6" Black Hole Cape Cod Slow Pitch jigging blank for snapper as you need light tip for snapper fishing.

ksong

I am in a meeting with NS Black Hole in Korea.  I saw new 9'2" and 9'6" Black Hole Striper and 10' Black Hole Yellowtail rod. The rods will be here in the US by early May as they are about to ship them now.

ksong