help with ideas of where to pick up reels cheap please and afew other things.

Started by Rickb, April 23, 2017, 06:14:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rickb

hi y'all
Decided to pester you will a few questions ;D
  Aside from eBay (don't have account or Paypal need one of the grandkids to set one up for me).
do you know other places online to pick up used reels fairly cheap to play I mean WORK on?

I live outside a small town in nowhereville Oklahoma and and at the present time wife isn't doing real well and I stay near house ,other wise might check out pawnshops in Tulsa but have to stick close

Just got a lb of cals grease and a 14 oz tube of yamalube marine grease need to find a better greaseguns somewhere. Bought a little one off amazon that had needle tip but would like two better ones.

Also have two  4 oz bottles Tsi 321, in the two nearby stores the alcohol is only 70% can I still mix it?

Degreasing thoughts: on hand all I have are Coleman lantern fuel , and paint thinner which is best with plastic parts or should I get something better?
 Thanks for reading
    Rick b
PS now that I am gathering up a few supplies I need a few shirts and hats I felt tHat "I'm a reel man sounded nice". And for the wife something like ahh "call me lucky I'm with him".  Lol

Long Enuff

Red, I find most of my Penn Senators on a local fishing forum, Charlestonfishing.com, but I live on the coast. Ebay has become more expensive with too many dogs in the hunt and inflated shipping charges. They do however, have a good selection and not bad if your aren't trying to resell, or just need a donor reel for a custom project.  Yard sales can be effective, but for me too time consuming. Pawn shops, from what I have seen, are expensive also. Others have found good buys in Thrift stores like Goodwill or the Salvation Army. I use WD-40 often as a solvent, degreaser, just avoid it as a primary lubricant. Careful, this thing can get addictive.

thorhammer

craigslist has some deals time time. I use simple green in a bin to degrease...disassemble and errything but the drags goes in, which I replace with carbontex anyway. white vinegar bath is great for getting the green off chrome parts...I mean all of it, and you will know quickly if you are down to brass. your solvents will be fine for bearings.

John

Vintage Offshore Tackle

If you are not picky about cosmetics, I have a load of good fishable Penn reels that I can sell dirt cheap and ship affordably to the East Coast.  I can get 5 jigmaster size reels with the handles off in a priority mail flat rate box. Please let me know if you might be interested.
Thanks,
Randy

Dominick

Hey Red, take him up on it.  Randy usually has good prices.  Try him.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

thorhammer

Rickb

hey guys thanks for the replys
   Changed name from red to Rick the red hair sort of changed over the years to a silver white where it still grows. ::)
   Found some 91% alcohol to mix and got some simple green so little by little getting what I need
And sent a pm about the reel offer!!!! Things are working out ;D
Thanks rick

philaroman

estate sales -- best possibility of grossly undervalued gems & general price/value in your favor, esp. if you buy in bulk rather than cherry-pick

David Hall

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: Rickb on April 24, 2017, 02:39:34 AM
hey guys thanks for the replys
   Changed name from red to Rick the red hair sort of changed over the years to a silver white where it still grows. ::)
   Found some 91% alcohol to mix and got some simple green so little by little getting what I need
And sent a pm about the reel offer!!!! Things are working out ;D
Thanks rick

Thank you Rick for giving me a chance to put something together for you, and thank you Dominick and John for putting in a good word for me.

Randy

Rickb

have to say that there are lots of nice folks around here!

Have to add that  Alan mentioned using baby food jars in a post ... so naturally I bought some to use ;D
Dumped what was in the jars chicken and turkey flavored mess and offered it to the dogs they wouldn't touch it.... ::)
And stared at me like I lost my mind!  But now I have lil jars!

RowdyW

Tuppaware type containers work great too & they come in a lot of different sizes & shapes. They are great for storing parts & reels that are apart & waiting on parts or other things. Plastic baggies work also.          Rudy

Decker

I've gotten a few good reels on the Goodwill auction site. https://www.shopgoodwill.com/  Check the shipping & handling costs before bidding, because they vary widely.  Sometimes I see a $20 charge for S&H, and just say "no."   There are many Goodwill stores across the country represented there, and some tend to overcharge a bit.  The most popular reels tend to go for prices that are a bit more than eBay.  If you can buy online from a Goodwill that is local to you, you can avoid the shipping and save a bundle.  Good luck!

Rickb

Quote from: Decker on April 24, 2017, 01:46:02 PM
I've gotten a few good reels on the Goodwill auction site. https://www.shopgoodwill.com/  Check the shipping & handling costs before bidding, because they vary widely.  Sometimes I see a $20 charge for S&H, and just say "no."   There are many Goodwill stores across the country represented there, and some tend to overcharge a bit.  The most popular reels tend to go for prices that are a bit more than eBay.  If you can buy online from a Goodwill that is local to you, you can avoid the shipping and save a bundle.  Good luck!
I actually checked it last week, and did look at the shipping to here in Oklahoma on a few reels ,shipping cost more  than reels. But noticed if bought from same place some willi ship in same box so that makes it alittle cheaper.
   RIck b

Rickb

Quote from: RowdyW on April 24, 2017, 12:18:04 PM
Tuppaware type containers work great too & they come in a lot of different sizes & shapes. They are great for storing parts & reels that are apart & waiting on parts or other things. Plastic baggies work also.          Rudy
We had two or three boxes of new Rubbermaid containers that came in the sets most were 3 cup or smaller
  I gave them away two months ago :D
  So now I will buy more!
       Rick b