alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial Looking at this jigging reel..is it made from Maxel???
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
May 22, 2017, 08:57:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking at this jigging reel..is it made from Maxel???  (Read 611 times)
kewlworm

« on: April 23, 2017, 02:31:37 PM »

Hi all,

New here and I have been out of the fishing game for quite a while and I am looking into getting another reel for slow jigging. I have been told that the Offshore Angler Ocean Master Jigging Reel from basspro shop is made from Maxel. Is it true?

It is a nice little reel and it is perfect for my slow pitch rod and the fishing I do. I have seen it brought up a 33"+ almaco at 200 feet. What do you guys think? Is it worth getting even if it's not made from Maxel?

Thanks!
philaroman

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 07:29:01 PM »

many BPS & Cabela's reels are made by major brands & better-priced than equivalent reels under the OEM's own brand.  HOWEVER, you may have trouble getting service, parts, schematics, etc. for re-branded reels, even if the OEM is someone HUGE like Okuma or Daiwa
day0ne

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 10:04:35 PM »

Also, they may not have the same quality parts. A company can order a basic reel design from China and specify where they want to save money. This goes back to the argument that a Jigging Master and a Maxel are the same reel.

David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter
kewlworm

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 07:07:47 AM »

Oh man..that's a bummer. I might just give it a try since have $90 BPS credits and don't know what else to get from there. Thanks for the info guys.
redpaulhus

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 12:02:12 PM »

I was eyeing the new Forged leverdrag from Tsunami recently, and I realized that it looked alot like the BPS reel.
all of the photos of the Tsunami reel I could find online seem to be reprints of the same marketing photo, so I'm not certain, but I would not be surprised if the BPS reel was based on the Tsunami - especially since they launched within a few months (or less) of each other.

The biggest change I can see with the Tsunami was a lower gear ratio (better for our bottom fishing here in the northeast)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: