TUTORIAL: Cabela's Depthmaster II by Okuma

Started by WeyeFisherCO, April 24, 2017, 02:30:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobi King

Hi David,

I finally got around opening up my Cabelas Depthmasters 30 and it had CF drag washers in it already (that was a surprise). I am checking out your tutorial as I think I messed up the anti reverse pawl placement, handle keeps binding.
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

WeyeFisherCO

Gobi King,
It's nice to hear that the current model has CF drag washers; they were badly needed on the older reels.  There should be good enough photos of the anti reverse pawl in the tutorial that you can see if it's installed correctly.  Verify that the spring on the anti reverse pawl is correctly install while you are in there.

If you get stuck, let me know.

David

Dominick

I am impressed by that tutorial.  On a scale of 10, I give that tutorial 9.5 Alan Tani wrenches.  I officially am coining the phrase Alan Tani Wrenches.  From now on the site we can rate anything (that requires a rating) from 1 to 10 Alan Tani wrenches.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Gobi King

Quote from: WeyeFisherCO on February 27, 2018, 01:36:00 AM
Gobi King,
It's nice to hear that the current model has CF drag washers; they were badly needed on the older reels.  There should be good enough photos of the anti reverse pawl in the tutorial that you can see if it's installed correctly.  Verify that the spring on the anti reverse pawl is correctly install while you are in there.

If you get stuck, let me know.

David

David,
Here is a pic, the pawl seems to jump up and sit on top of the anti reverse thing.
I am guess I am not pushing the pivot pin far enough into the hole?

Fichigan

WeyeFisherCO

Gobi King,

If you look at Part 5 of the tutorial, you will see that I assemble the Drive Shaft to the Hold plate before installing the anti-reverse Pawl and Pin (on pages 14 and 15).  Then after the entire Hold plate assembly is reassembled, I install it in the right side of the case.  After all the hold plate screws are installed I attach the anti-revers spring to the post (pages 16 and 17).

I found this the easiest way to avoid the problem you are having with the anti-reverse pawl.

You may be able to fix this without removing the Drive Shaft from the right side of the case by disconnecting the anti-reverse spring from the post, then reinstall the Hold plate (while taking care to keep the anti-reverse pawl away from anti-reverse gear) before reattaching the anti-reverse spring.

I confess that the first time I disassembled one of the Depthmaster reels that I removed all the screws from the Hold plate (like you just did).  I soon realized that it is easier to leave the center screw (to the drive shaft) installed and deal with the Hold plate as an assembly.

I hope these tips help,
David

WeyeFisherCO

Quote from: Dominick on February 27, 2018, 03:14:04 AM
I am impressed by that tutorial.  On a scale of 10, I give that tutorial 9.5 Alan Tani wrenches.  I officially am coining the phrase Alan Tani Wrenches.  From now on the site we can rate anything (that requires a rating) from 1 to 10 Alan Tani wrenches.  Dominick

Dominick,
I am honored to receive a "9.5 Alan Tani wrenches" rating for this tutorial.  Obviously the judging criteria is very strict.  Perhaps with practice and hard work my next tutorial will score even higher.  ;)

Thanks,
David

Dominick

Subjectively it was a 10 but like the Olympics, judges do not give a perfect score.  :)  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Gobi King

Quote from: WeyeFisherCO on February 28, 2018, 03:03:01 AM
Gobi King,

If you look at Part 5 of the tutorial, you will see that I assemble the Drive Shaft to the Hold plate before installing the anti-reverse Pawl and Pin (on pages 14 and 15).  Then after the entire Hold plate assembly is reassembled, I install it in the right side of the case.  After all the hold plate screws are installed I attach the anti-revers spring to the post (pages 16 and 17).

I found this the easiest way to avoid the problem you are having with the anti-reverse pawl.

You may be able to fix this without removing the Drive Shaft from the right side of the case by disconnecting the anti-reverse spring from the post, then reinstall the Hold plate (while taking care to keep the anti-reverse pawl away from anti-reverse gear) before reattaching the anti-reverse spring.

I confess that the first time I disassembled one of the Depthmaster reels that I removed all the screws from the Hold plate (like you just did).  I soon realized that it is easier to leave the center screw (to the drive shaft) installed and deal with the Hold plate as an assembly.

I hope these tips help,
David

David, that makes sense. I will put back in first without the spring. Phew, I thought I broke something rushing to finish it.

Danke!
Fichigan

WeyeFisherCO

Quote from: Gobi King on February 28, 2018, 05:51:30 PM
Quote from: WeyeFisherCO on February 28, 2018, 03:03:01 AM
Gobi King,

I hope these tips help,
David

David, that makes sense. I will put back in first without the spring. Phew, I thought I broke something rushing to finish it.

Danke!

I am happy to help.  I don't think you broke anything.

Note that the bottom of the drive shaft will be flush with the bottom of the hold plate (as shown on Page 8 of part 5) when it is fully inserted.  So in your case where the side plate is partially assembled the start drag must be as loose as possible (or if that doesn't get the drive shaft all the way into the hold plate you may have to remove the handle and star drag to remove the tension from the drive shaft until after it is installed in the hold plate).

You are welcome,
David

WeyeFisherCO

Quote from: Dominick on February 28, 2018, 04:43:12 AM
Subjectively it was a 10 but like the Olympics, judges do not give a perfect score.  :)  Dominick

I understand; I am also reluctant to give a perfect 10 score... 
I guessed that there were technical point deductions for imperfect focus on 1% of the photos.   ;D
David

WeyeFisherCO

Dominick,
Will you make this post sticky?
Thanks, David

Gobi King

David,
That did it, Thanks a bunch!

1. I did not attach the spring till the cover was on tight.
2. I made sure the shaft bushing was in the "squre" seating properly.

FYI: I have a plastic cover plate, pic coming soon.

I would give it 9.85 wrenches  ;D
Fichigan

WeyeFisherCO

Quote from: Gobi King on March 05, 2018, 02:20:20 PM
David,
That did it, Thanks a bunch!

1. I did not attach the spring till the cover was on tight.
2. I made sure the shaft bushing was in the "square" seating properly.

FYI: I have cover plate is plastic, pic coming soon.

I would give it 9.85 wrenches  ;D

That's great Gobi King.  You are back in business!

David