Spinning reel rotor balancing...

Started by The Fishing Hobby, April 24, 2017, 10:03:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Fishing Hobby

You may have an issue with rubbing on a cupped rotor with stick on wheel weights. The reason I melted and reshaped the weight was to get it lower than the highest point in that same area.

I would suggest for anyone doubting the strength of high temp hot melt glue to put some down and embed a lead weight into it and see how much force it takes to break it loose. It is pretty strong and that is directly applied force which would have much more impact than the centrifugal force it would experience while spinning in a rotor.

Try it out as an experiment, I don't think it will go anywhere under normal circumstances in a rotor.

RowdyW

You must have a hammer in your tool box, just use it to flatten the weight a little for clearance before installing it if needed. They are very soft & shape easily. Hammers are more readilly available then glue guns.

The Fishing Hobby

Quote from: RowdyW on April 25, 2017, 07:41:49 PM
You must have a hammer in your tool box, just use it to flatten the weight a little for clearance before installing it if needed. They are very soft & shape easily. Hammers are more readilly available then glue guns.
That may be a method worth looking into for some.

The Fishing Hobby

Here is a lead to aluminum hot melt glue test video. I did this to satisfy my own curiosity and maybe to save someone else the trouble. I spun it in a rotary tool at 10,000 RPM (didn't want to go any higher in fear that the imbalance would damage my tool), tried to pull it off with pliers, and ended up prying it out with a screw driver. The centrifugal force test and the tensile force test were both very positive. When checking tensile strength I actually damaged the lead more than anything. I was able to get the joint to fail using shear force with the screwdriver. Since the joint wouldn't be subject to anything other than centrifugal forces in a rotor, I would have to say the hot melt glue is certainly encouraging. Again, I can't say 100% for sure the joint wouldn't fail...but I trust it enough to be OK with using it in my reel.

The Fishing Hobby

Glue used was Stanley Dual Temp Glue Sticks and the glue gun was an Ad Tech 2 Temp gun (40W max) used at its hottest setting.

mo65

Interesting...reminds me that several of my spinning reels are slightly off balance...I may have to experiment. Good job on the vids. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

The Fishing Hobby

Quote from: mo65 on April 26, 2017, 01:04:02 AM
   Interesting...reminds me that several of my spinning reels are slightly off balance...I may have to experiment. Good job on the vids. 8)
I think it would be helpful if anyone does this to post pictures and tell about the make and model reel and the amount of weight used and what your results were. It may help others out who want to do it too.

That is one beautiful smallmouth on your signature!

Shark Hunter

That is a pretty cool Video.
It reminds me of balancing my lawnmower blades.
I would rough up the surface under that weight and the weight itself with some sandpaper and use some 5 or 10 minute epoxy.
Great solution and I bet that reel feels much better balanced now.
Life is Good!

The Fishing Hobby

I thought about epoxy and researched how well it binds to lead. If using epoxy make sure to do it immediately after sanding the lead to a shiny surface. Lead oxidizes very quickly and the epoxy won't stick very well to oxidized lead.

happyhooker

I took the spool off my Shimano MLX 300 & cranked the handle; bad vibration & I figured I might have to try some balancing method; but with the spool back on and drag nut in place, cranked again & no noticeable  problem.  Not completely sure why this was.  The spool itself has a very thin clicker wire inside, which I would have thought too light to make any difference.

handi2

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Midway Tommy

Quote from: happyhooker on June 03, 2017, 08:30:47 PM
I took the spool off my Shimano MLX 300 & cranked the handle; bad vibration & I figured I might have to try some balancing method; but with the spool back on and drag nut in place, cranked again & no noticeable  problem.  Not completely sure why this was.  The spool itself has a very thin clicker wire inside, which I would have thought too light to make any difference.

When design engineers balance a reel, i.e. rotor, the use of a counter weight usually takes all aspects of the rotation into consideration, including, but not necessarily limited to, the rotor, bail assembly, spool and in some cases even line tension against the roller bearing. What may appear to be unbalanced while free wheeling does not always end up being unbalanced under stress. The way line is fills a spool, whether uniformly, or not, can have some influence, to a degree, on overall balance.      
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)