Cape Cod Special Nano HEAVY

Started by Bryan Young, April 26, 2017, 11:15:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

Hi Kil,

I'm looking at building a couple of surf rods for my brothers. I'm looking at the Cape Cod Special Nano HEAVY blanks but are a bit short. I would like to extend it by 3.5 to 4 feet by using another blank, such as a gaff blank that will slide into the butt of the bottom blank by about 6". Can I do this without fear of damaging the blank if the ends were wrapped? 

Does Black Hole have a blank that will fit in the bottom of the Cape Cod Special Nano HEAVY blank?  I sure it'll be lighter than the gaff blank but at this point it may be my only option.

Thank you.
Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

oc1

If you do not find one Bryan, you could try a piece of aluminum tubing.  It can be wrapped and beveled.  Royal Metals in HNL distributes 1/2, 3/4, 1 and 1-1/4 inch.  For surf rods, weight in the handle can be an asset because it helps to balance a long tip-heavy rod.
-steve

Bryan Young

Hi Steve,

It will be an oio rod. My other brother has a 14' rod, medium fast, 10-30# test, 2-5 oz that is perfect but they don't make the rod anymore, and he wants me to build a custom rod.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

ksong

We are developing 11' and 12' surf rod for 3 - 6 oz and 3 - 10 oz ratings.
But we will test them this year and introduce them in Fred Hall Show in  2018.

Bryan Young

ksong

CapeFish

Quote from: Bryan Young on April 27, 2017, 01:41:09 PM
Any 14 footers?

Bryan, we have a pretty serious range of 13-15 foot rods available in South Africa, both locally made and imported and so do the Europeans and British, why not contact Jeri? I am sure he will put you onto some fantastic blanks. No offence but I can't imagine fishing with a rod with a long aluminium butt at the bottom when you can have a beutiful one piece or 3 piece graphite that is an absolute pleasure to fish with.

Cheers,

Leon

ksong

We have 13' prototype rods with 2 - 6 oz rating and the weigh is 15 oz.
But we don't intend to introduce them unless there are demand for them.

Bryan Young

Quote from: ksong on April 28, 2017, 01:04:08 AM
We have 13' prototype rods with 2 - 6 oz rating and the weigh is 15 oz.
But we don't intend to introduce them unless there are demand for them.
😲😲😲. I hope there's a demand. That would be a great rod in Hawaii for smaller weight casting. 😲😲😲

If you ever want to dispose of that prototype, I'm here. 😁

ksong

I met a guy at surf Demo Day in MA yesterday and he showed his rod extended using aluminum tube.
It looks nice.

Tiddlerbasher

In the UK 14, 15 and 16ft are commonly used for surf fishing. They achieve huge distances.
Also butt inserts are used - I made a 2ft one (out of an old rod) for my 13ft 6 beach caster.
The reel is mounter down the butt. After the cast the insert is removed leaving the reel in a convenient position close to the belly. Give it a try Bry ;)

Swami805

CUI makes a nice glass 13' blank, Squidco in San Diego has them. They're about $100 which ain't bad.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

FalconerRods

Bryan -

I am a custom rod builder as well and think I understand what you are trying to do. 

Strange as it sounds (and strange as it may look) the right piece of quality aluminum tubing would work.  The weight doesn't hurt you as much as you might think since it is near the butt of the rod / behind the balance point. 

You could also use a suitable piece of roll-formed carbon fiber tubing in lieu of aluminum tubing.  This is the same tubing they use to make carbon fiber kayak paddles, push poles, etc. I personally think that might look a lot better. 

All things being equal I would probably buy a piece of tubing with an ID slight larger than the OD of the butt of your blank and permanently mount the blank inside the forward end of of the tubing.  If you need a ferruled connection you can take apart for storage / travel then things get a bit trickier.

There is some great information in RodMaker Magazine back issues as well as posts on rodbuilding.org that may point you in the right direction.  Search 'extending blanks' and 'blank extension' and you'll find some great information. 

I hope this helps...good luck!

Bill