Hwy. 101 CLOSED AGAIN - Hillside gives away North of Leggett, CA

Started by El Pescador, April 27, 2017, 03:05:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Pescador

We have been driving this section of Hwy. 101, for the past 40 years, on our way to Jen's Parents Eureka, CA home, and with all the rains this winter,

Check out the hillside landslide.

Click on the website, and then click on the video.

Check out the action around 56 seconds!  WOW!!!!

Enough to make your privates tingle, and NOT in a good way!

https://www.mendovoice.com/2017/04/re-closed-101/

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

doradoben

Wow!! My son and some of his friends went camping at Standish Hickey Recreation Area earlier this year..

humboldtdan

I have been trying to get down to the lower sac to fish stripers and this darn slide is messing up my plans.  They don't call it the redwood curtain for nothing.  299 was closed from a huge slide for over a month earlier this year.  Rumors were starting to fly that stores would be running out of food.  At least we have 6 breweries up here to keep the beer flowing.

mizmo67

Was watching it thinking "Those guys should not be standing that close to it..."
and there it went. :(
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

El Pescador

Quote from: humboldtdan on April 27, 2017, 05:08:09 PM
...  At least we have 6 breweries up here to keep the beer flowing.

Humboldtdan! 

Exactly- I always stop by Lost Coast Brewery for a few cases for my son, John, and friends (sorry Dominick NO gluten-free beer here!).

Jen's Father's final resting place is in the cemetery 150 yards from the Front door of the brewery, and ironically, he was a Baptist Minister for 40+ years.

Do you rockfish & Ling Cod fish out of Humboldt bay???

Wayne

Keta

Quote from: El Pescador on April 28, 2017, 12:12:36 PM

Do you rockfish & Ling Cod fish out of Humboldt bay???

Wayne

Brookings is not that much further north.... ;D

Cape Mendocino has lots of structure and habitat, I would bet there is good bottom fish in the Humboldt Bay area.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

humboldtdan

Yeah the Cape is amazing out of Humboldt Bay, as is Trinidad just a few miles north.  Shelter cove to the south of the Cape is very productive, although its a bit of a challenge to get there.  We have some great Pacific halibut fishing, too, as well as salmon when it is open and some years the albacore fishing is good.  There is a very interesting late-season swordfish commercial fishery that I would love to try, along with the bluefin that migrate through.  I need a bigger boat!  We have deep, close-to-shore submarine canyons and cold-water upwelling that makes the Pacific ocean very productive off the coast here.  Humboldt Bay itself has lots of sharks and rays of different flavors and California halibut.

This is the most seismically active part of the country with the triple plate junction right here.  That, coupled with young, unconsolidated bedrock and rapid uplift makes for a lot of earth movement especially after a winter like this.  If you are interested in geology this is the place to be.

Here is a video of activity at the 299 slide this winter:

Watch for the giant rock near the end.  I have to say a lot of people knock Caltrans, but they certainly earn their money working up here to keep the roads open.

Keta

In the 60's I dove out of Shelter Cove, Salt Point (before it was a state park) and Albion.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Gfish

Been goin on since I used to go up there, in the early 80's, mabey before. Gotta wonder about the streambed ecological damage with alla that silt pourin into the river. Interesting geology stuff, humboldtdan, could the "the next big one" be there insteada the SF bay like people'er always talkin about?
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Dominick

Wow! It makes one want to drink his bourbon neat instead of on the rocks.   ;D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

steelhead_killer

That road to Shelter Cove is a bear...  Beautiful place.  Know some guys that dive for abalone there, or at least used to dive...
><)))">

humboldtdan

Based on historical tsunami deposits we are due for the big one-they come about every 300 years, I think we are at about year 390.  Big as in 9.0!  No tank diving for abs, just snorkeling, but it is still good.  As remote as it is up here you would never imagine it being California.  I certainly didn't think there was anything like this in Cali growing up in Michigan.  No girls on the beach up here with 50F water!  Well, there is a cove they call college cove that is out of the wind...

Gfish

Yeah, College cove & Baker beach, nude beaches in the early 80's. My favorite shore fishin was in Patricks point, "Wedding Rock" to be exact. Black & Blue rockfish, Lingcod and an occasional surfperch, greenling or cabazon. Fall season and a calm day = schoolin rockfish.

I' s in that early 80's quake, 1981? Was like a stormy boat ride in my bed in Arcata that late night.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

humboldtdan

1992 was last big one here- 7.2!  Did significant damage burned up Scotia, a lot of damage to houses and businesses.  Thankfully our population is small so no deaths.  We have had Tsunami damage from earthquakes far away i.e., Japan and Alaska.  It certainly is an interesting place to live.  We have Tsunami sirens on the beach.  The historical Native American accounts of the Tsunamis are terrifying.  I live at 1200 feet within a few miles of the ocean so hopefully my daughter and I are home when the big one hits.  It won't take but about 10-20 minutes if the quake occurs at the triple junction before the tsunami hits.  Headed to lower Sacramento for stripers this weekend.  Will be interesting with the high water but apparently they have still been on the chew.

El Pescador

humboldtdan!

Let us NOT forget the 1964 "Thousand Year Flood" aka:  Christmas Flood of 1964

https://www.northcoastjournal.com/humboldt/when-the-waters-rose/Content?oid=2775821

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_flood_of_1964

The Mattole River recorded 50" of rain, 18" of rain fell on the Eel River Canyon, at Fernbridge.

Next time I drive to Eureka, I will photograph the HIGH WATER Mark sign way up the banks above Hwy. 101.   It will make you a believer for sure. 

Safe travels to you this weekend.

Wayne