Daiwa 1000X Upgrades From 1 to 3 Bearings, From Clicker to Silent A/R

Started by The Fishing Hobby, April 27, 2017, 06:03:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Fishing Hobby

Just thought I would do another video for my channel and share it here. I hope someone might find it useful!
The 1000X is one of my favorites. They can be had for good prices usually and they were well built aluminum body/rotor reels.
Anyway, here are the upgrades:

The Fishing Hobby

Full disclosure...I had already done these upgrades but I always label and save my old parts...so I put everything back to stock and did the upgrades again for the video  ;D

foakes

Excellent, Kevin --

And very well done as well as understandable.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

thorhammer

Hey I have one of those I bought for $5 at yard sale, knowing it was a better reel than a $30 plastic wallyworld special. GREAAAATTT now I'm gonna have to start upgrading spinners....and there are totes and totes of them...

The Fishing Hobby

I would like to see some of your stash if you start working on them! I order a lot of reels from eBay and I never know just what I am getting exactly until I have it in my hands. I would love to see some posts where people go through their older reels and tell a little about what they like and dislike about them. It would probably help a lot of people out in the future. I just ordered a Roddy 820A from an eBay seller. It looks like the sort of reel I would like but there wasn't a lot of information about them that I could find online. A forum like this is a great place to get more information out about a wide variety of spinners. I will post ones as I work on them. Here is the reel I ordered. As far as I can tell it is a smaller worm gear drive model. That is a great starting point for a nice reel.

Chuck750ss

Quote from: The Fishing Hobby on April 27, 2017, 02:33:27 PM
I would like to see some of your stash if you start working on them! I order a lot of reels from eBay and I never know just what I am getting exactly until I have it in my hands. I would love to see some posts where people go through their older reels and tell a little about what they like and dislike about them. It would probably help a lot of people out in the future. I just ordered a Roddy 820A from an eBay seller. It looks like the sort of reel I would like but there wasn't a lot of information about them that I could find online. A forum like this is a great place to get more information out about a wide variety of spinners. I will post ones as I work on them. Here is the reel I ordered. As far as I can tell it is a smaller worm gear drive model. That is a great starting point for a nice reel.

Just read this post. Been looking at the same Roddy wondering how well they are built. You tear yours down?

The Fishing Hobby

I did and I don't really like it much honestly. There are others that are made much better out there.

handi2

Great video. When i get reels like that its a given that they get bearings. Neat trick on the anti reverse.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Chuck750ss

Quote from: The Fishing Hobby on March 05, 2018, 09:13:01 PM
I did and I don't really like it much honestly. There are others that are made much better out there.

Thanks. I looked at parts listed for this reel on eBay and did not really care for what I saw.
IOU. You probably saved me about 20 bucks. :)

The Fishing Hobby

No problem! I can highly recommend the Shakespeare 2062...similar size and very well made, still has worm drive/pinion gear setup.