Shakespeare Alpha 2100B 035 Repairs and Cleaning/Relube

Started by The Fishing Hobby, April 27, 2017, 02:42:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Fishing Hobby

Just going to post any refurb reel videos I have in case anyone needs some info in the future.

happyhooker

Thanks for the interesting video.  Your enthusiasm for this model reel may prompt me to dig out two that I think I have somewhere in my basement.  If I remember right, one is a 2100B like yours & the other is just a 2100.  Pretty similar.  One has a broken bail arm (plastic) and one a broken bail spring.  I've got schematics for 'em, I think.  May try to make a metal bail arm.  Anyway, you got me to thinking about these reels & maybe rekindle an interest in them.

The Fishing Hobby

These need a metal bail arm in my opinion. Other than the bail arm, they are a nice older model!

happyhooker

Well, I finally found those 2 Shakies.  The "B" model is on the right in the pic; straight 2100 on the left, with the broken bail arm.  Got most of my other reel projects done (until the next one comes along!), so I'm gonna try & find some time to do something with these 2.

Went fishing at my local pond this AM; cold & windy here in MN, but fishing hot; used an old Mitchell ultralight rod that I had resurrected & repaired from a trash can, with a Shimano Mark I "Quick Fire" ultralight reel & fishing from the dock got 20+ crappies (catch & release), most in about 45 minutes on a little grub jig.

handi2

I know this is an old post but do you remember the size of the pinion bearing?

Thanks,

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

happyhooker

Quote from: handi2 on August 20, 2018, 10:35:44 AM
I know this is an old post but do you remember the size of the pinion bearing?

Thanks,

Keith

On the 2100, the ball bearing size is:  OD: .551; ID .292; Width: .138.  Looks like 10 balls.  This is part # 32 on the schematic; on the 2100B, the part # is 32B.  Puzzled me a bit, so I took a look at The Fishing Hobby's video on his 2100B rebuild, and noticed he said the ball bearing had a nylon outer race.  Well, the one on the 2100 has a metal outer race.  Don't know if this would make the OD different between the two bearings.

Frank

happyhooker

I took a closer look at the two reels I previously posted pictures for.  A ton of snow & cold weather has given me plenty of time to play with some of my reel projects.

First, on the pictures I posted earlier, I think I reversed the two reels.  The 2100B reel in on the left in front of the 2100 schematic.  While they have similar model numbers, the 2100 and the 2100B shown have some differences. 

The 2100 I have has a reversible handle that is held in the body by a screw that goes into the handle shaft on the end opposite from the handle itself; to switch the handle from one side to the other, you remove this screw, slide the handle and shaft out from one side of the reel body, replace the handle and shaft into the other side of the body and tighten it in place with the screw.  This type of handle has a knurled chromed metal tightener on the handle side; loosen this to fold the handle down and tighten it to put the handle in position for fishing. The 2100B I have has a handle that screws in and out of the body via two sets of threads on the handle shaft.  One set of threads is left hand thread with one diameter; the other set is right hand thread with a slightly different diameter.  There is a plastic cap that threads into the side of the reel that you don't have the handle sticking out of.  To switch the handle from, say, the left side of the reel to the right side, turn the handle clockwise to back it out of the body, unscrew the plastic cap from the right side of the body, then insert the handle into the right side of the body and screw it in , also in a clockwise direction, until tight, then put the plastic cap on the left side of the body.  The handle will always tighten in the direction you are cranking the handle because of the two different threads on the handle shaft.  This 2100B dispenses with the knurled chrome metal tightener on the handle side (there is a black, what looks like, plastic spacer in its place), since you can fold the handle merely by turning it part way out of the body, thus providing the clearance to fold it.

As previously indicated, the ball bearing may be different between the two models; unsure if they are interchangeable.

I also note that the bail is shaped differently on these two models; the 2100 has a bail wire that comes out of the bail arm on the roller side just about parallel with the roller, then curves outward and away from the reel and around to the bail arm on the non-roller side; on the 2100B, the bail wire come out of the roller at a slight angle and curves around to the non-roller side bail arm without a second curve away from the body.  Both bail arms have different parts numbers between the models and the attaching screws may be different too; again, not sure if they would interchange. 

The schematics show what seem to be some other differences that could be crucial as far as interchangeability; for example the 2100 body does not have screw threads for the plastic handle hole cap like the 2100B does, and I suspect there are some other differences.  Point is: if repairing one of these reels, take care with parts numbers and if buying a parts reel.  To top it all off, I have seen some of these reels marked "2100" that appear to have the same type of handle as the 2100B I have described above, including the black plastic spacer and the plastic handle hole cap.  Care and close observation needed!  I wanted to get a 2100B parts reel, as mine has a broken bail arm, and I almost bought what might have been a similar but incompatible reel in the process, catching the difference just in time.

Frank