Shakespeare 2052 Disassembly With more to come

Started by The Fishing Hobby, April 27, 2017, 03:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Fishing Hobby

Haven't finished this series yet.  This is just the disassembly of the reel. Maybe this will be of some use to someone in the future. As I upload the other two parts, I will post that info as well.

The Fishing Hobby

handi2

Those were great reels back in the day. I had a huge collection of them. Many of them came with a factory manual bail.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

The Fishing Hobby

Quote from: handi2 on May 13, 2017, 12:20:01 AM
Those were great reels back in the day. I had a huge collection of them. Many of them came with a factory manual bail.
Manual pickup or a bail that could be closed manually? If it could be closed manually, I would love to see the way it works! I always close my bail manually if possible but on this one you can't. I guess technically you can pull the lever and close it but that is a pain. The bail wire isn't permanently attached and can be removed easily so switching it to a PUM couldn't be any easier. This one (after cleaning and relubricated) is smooth as silk! I made some Carbontex drag washers for it, removed the paint and polished it. It is a real beauty!
I like the handle style of this one better than 2 other variations I have seen. It is actually fairly light even with the steel internal parts. It weighs just over 8oz. I also balanced the rotor for it. It has been in a lot of my recent videos, impressive little reels and just as nice to look at as well.
I was surprised to find over 60 individual parts in the reel but for just a normal servicing they are easy to break down for relube.
Any info you could give me on variations would be greatly appreciated. Surprisingly, they aren't very sought after so they can be had for pretty good prices. I paid less than $20 for this with shipping! I would say that is a bargain. I love the size of these but I wish the had an aluminum spool. I might try to turn one for it on the lathe sometime down the road.

The Fishing Hobby

Here is what it looks like now:

handi2

They were factory PUM. I dont have the pictures anymore. Mostly the larger Seawonder reels.
Gulf Breeze, FL

The Fishing Hobby

I saw one of those Seawonder 2090's at a local flea market the other day. That thing is a beast! I think my 2052 would fit in the rotor cup!

mo65

I figured this thread would be a great place to post this 2052 schematic. 8)

P.S.  Click on photo for zoom.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

handi2

Even though I sold all the reels I should have a full page color add from Shakespeare. I will find it and posts here.
Gulf Breeze, FL

The Fishing Hobby

Quote from: handi2 on December 07, 2017, 01:08:22 AM
Even though I sold all the reels I should have a full page color add from Shakespeare. I will find it and posts here.
That would be great. I could print it and frame it!

happyhooker

Lots of good info.  I watched Pts. 1 & 2 of the video.  Some thoughts: 1) Appreciated your showing the disassembly of the ball bearing; 2) That looks like a substantial bail spring compared to some I have seen; 3) The handle on yours is different from that in mo65's schematic; I'm thinking you have the earlier handle and the schematic shows the later one (or there could be more than 2 types?)

(Thanks to mo65 for the schematic.  Some of those earlier Shaky schematics are a bit of work to track down.)

Looks like a good reel.  I'm impressed.  Will undoubtedly increase my efforts to pick one up & maybe a 2062 as well.  In fact, I like the whole "Royal Maroon" series, as maybe you've guessed from my comments to some of the other Shakespeare posts about these reels.

Frank

The Fishing Hobby

Quote from: happyhooker on December 07, 2017, 02:52:59 AM
Lots of good info.  I watched Pts. 1 & 2 of the video.  Some thoughts: 1) Appreciated your showing the disassembly of the ball bearing; 2) That looks like a substantial bail spring compared to some I have seen; 3) The handle on yours is different from that in mo65's schematic; I'm thinking you have the earlier handle and the schematic shows the later one (or there could be more than 2 types?)

(Thanks to mo65 for the schematic.  Some of those earlier Shaky schematics are a bit of work to track down.)

Looks like a good reel.  I'm impressed.  Will undoubtedly increase my efforts to pick one up & maybe a 2062 as well.  In fact, I like the whole "Royal Maroon" series, as maybe you've guessed from my comments to some of the other Shakespeare posts about these reels.

Frank

They are definitely worth having. Silky smooth gears and we'll made. I own both of them. I think I do have the earlier handle style. I have seen 3 different types. I like the style on mine better for looks but they all should work fine.

happyhooker

Yeah, I like the earlier handle too.  Black on the 2052 and chrome on the 2062?  Has more of a vintage look.

I was looking at some info Midway Tommy posted on some other Shakespeares a few days ago, and if I understood it right, handle #2 was a 2-piece folding one and #3 was 1-piece with a plastic dust cover. Guessing the posted schematic is showing #3.

Frank

Midway Tommy

Shakespeare only had two different style handles on the 2052 & 2062 reels. The first versions on both had the two piece handle. The 2062 crank arm was aluminum color & 2052 was black. The later version of both had the one piece black crank handle.   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)