80 TW Frozen Screws

Started by PennDaddy, April 27, 2017, 06:18:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PennDaddy

Can you buy just the drag washer or do you have to buy the side plate at the same time? Also, is it bad if the metal drag washer, the large one, has circle grooves worn into it? Sorry for the newby questions it's my first international rebuild.

handi2

It looks like you need to replace it all. The 117, 117A, #7A metal friction plate.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Tightlines667

If it alreasy has a worn CF drag.. you may try to recondition it, by working the weave up with a clean chamois cloth and brake cleaner.  The metal plate can usually be reconditioned by honing with various grit sandpaper on a glass surface making figure 8s.  3rd gen replacement CF discs are no longer available through your normal parts distributors, but you may check with JDTreasures on Ebay to see if they have any.  Much cheaper and the same end result.  New duradrag should work with your existing pinion.  Clean and check all of your bearings, the clicker pawl and ratchet plate first so you can get by with 1 parts order.  I usually replace the bellevilles as well.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

PennDaddy

I'm definitely replacing the drag and bellevilles.  There are some real good grooves in the washer which would take it too far below spec if sanded. They make a cross reference part which will have to work.