Newell S533-5.5 Gear & Pinion

Started by BL90292, April 27, 2017, 11:53:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BL90292

May I ask the Newell Experts here to help me identify the source of these 3 sets of Newell S533-5.5 gears?

These 3 sets of gears came from 3 different S533-5.5 that I acquired used in the past.
It seems that there are 2 different styles.
The ones on the left have a steeper angle & a helical cut on the pinion
The one on the right has a straight cut on both the main gear and pinion.

All 3 sets worked smoothly on the original Newell 533-5.5 frame.
On the other hand, I can only get the set with the straight gear to work with a Tiburon 533N conversion.
I can feel grinding of gear with the helical cut set.

So, may I get a confirmation on the source of these gears?
Are they original gears from Newell?

Any common issues with grinding that I should look at?
Has anyone been able to install a helical set with a tiburon 533 Narrow kit?
Lastly, which one of these are more desirable or can take higher torque?

Thanks !

Benjamin

Bryan Young

The 2 gears on the left look like 5.5:1 hears and the left looks like a 4.6:1 gears.  Someone must have replaced them in the past.

I'm not sure why the grinding when installing with a Tib frame though.   I've never had that problem.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

it's a little hard to tell from the photos, but the gear teeth look good......   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

reel man

Manually roll the pinion gear around the main gear to feel how smoothly it rotates.  Any roughness will be very noticeable when winding on the reel in operating mode. If they all feel very smooth then you know they are a good mate to each other.

If the roughness only happens after you assemble the reel it may be caused by the pinion not aligned squarely with the main gear.  This can be caused by the tabs on the jack plate or the yoke.  If you have a depth gage or a caliper then you can check the tab distance between the bridge plate and the top of the tabs.  If they are within .003 they they are acceptable.

What you are looking for is if the yoke moves up and down, and stays very level. A bent tab will throw this alignment out, and cause the pinion to ride on the main a little crooked thus you feel the roughness.

BL90292

Quote from: Bryan Young on April 28, 2017, 01:26:11 AM
The 2 gears on the left look like 5.5:1 hears and the left looks like a 4.6:1 gears.  Someone must have replaced them in the past.

I'm not sure why the grinding when installing with a Tib frame though.   I've never had that problem.

Thank you, Bryan !! 
I am excited that I potentially have a 4.6 gear set!
The 4.6 came from a 533-5.5 that I got this week at an unbelievable price.

Looks like I have a little piece of treasure.
The problem with the Tib Frame - could be caused entirely by the installer -> me. :-) 

I opened all 3 reels and reassemble them slowly and got each one to work reasonably well.
The Straight tooth does seem to be smoother and as you said it could be the 4.6
I will measure the line per crank to make sure.

Time to get some 500 Newell drag discs from you!

Benjamnin

BL90292

Quote from: reel man on April 28, 2017, 05:36:30 AM
Manually roll the pinion gear around the main gear to feel how smoothly it rotates.  Any roughness will be very noticeable when winding on the reel in operating mode. If they all feel very smooth then you know they are a good mate to each other.

If the roughness only happens after you assemble the reel it may be caused by the pinion not aligned squarely with the main gear.  This can be caused by the tabs on the jack plate or the yoke.  If you have a depth gage or a caliper then you can check the tab distance between the bridge plate and the top of the tabs.  If they are within .003 they they are acceptable.

What you are looking for is if the yoke moves up and down, and stays very level. A bent tab will throw this alignment out, and cause the pinion to ride on the main a little crooked thus you feel the roughness.

Thank you, Mr. Reel Man.

I will check the spacing between the bridge plate and the top of the tabs.  Great hint - cause I may have to check some of my 300 series as well. 
More fun projects!

Benjamin

BL90292

Quote from: alantani on April 28, 2017, 01:49:14 AM
it's a little hard to tell from the photos, but the gear teeth look good......   :-\

Thank you, Alan for the confirmation on the gear - I was afraid that I might have a set of busted gear!

With a bit more elbow grease - I got the one on the 533N Tib working ok now.
All it needs is a drag disc set from Bryan.

I am going out for a 2 days trip on First String this evening. 
Time for a sea trail on the 533N !

Benjamin