Prices of vintage Dam Quick reels going up !

Started by SilverRidge, April 28, 2017, 05:24:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midway Tommy

Interestingly, I have four of the different models, 265 Micro-Lite, 110, 110N & 1001.

I like the feel of the 1001 and think it's the closest in comparison to the 265 feel wise, but given the choice to fish with, I would choose, hands down, the 265 Micri-Lite. I think it's better made than the 1001 and I prefer it's feel, size and balance over the 110 & 110N. Everyone has a different preference and opinion I guess.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

The Fishing Hobby

I wasn't impressed with the rotor/bail setup on the 1000 I sent to Fred. The 1000 didn't have manual close capiability either. Did the 1001? Can't wait to try out the Microlite!

CH

Quote from: oc1 on May 17, 2017, 10:03:43 PM
Back to the prices..... I've noticed that when reels are talked about here on AT the price goes up at the auction.  Buy the reel you want, then buy a couple of parts reels before you rave about it here.
-steve

LOL....... good thinking. :)
L2F/F2L
DAM Quick Addicted

Midway Tommy

QuoteBack to the prices..... I've noticed that when reels are talked about here on AT the price goes up at the auction.  Buy the reel you want, then buy a couple of parts reels before you rave about it here.
-steve

???  Ha!  If that's the case, same can be said about selling. If you want to sell a couple of reels, rave about them here on AT first and then list them for sale on da'Bay.  ;D   

Quote from: The Fishing Hobby on May 18, 2017, 02:44:41 AM
The 1000 didn't have manual close capiability either. Did the 1001? Can't wait to try out the Microlite!

No, it has a standard bail trip lever with slotted bail arm/plate. It is, though, a light and petite little reel. Feels like a feather in your hand compared to many of the clunker, so called, ultra-lites.  ;) 

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

oc1

I stay on the chump end of every transaction Tommy  :)
-steve

swill88

Quote from: oc1 on May 19, 2017, 09:45:23 AM
I stay on the chump end of every transaction Tommy  :)
-steve

"the greater fool theory" is my only hope Steve.

Steve

foakes

Fortunately, there are millions of Mitchells out there -- probably 10's of thousands of Quicks -- and there are plenty or bargains to be had.  Not so many Cardinals, or Penns -- but still moderately available.

I never am concerned about what I pay for any individual reel -- if I want it.

If I seemingly pay too much for a reel I want and can use -- I just offset and average it in with the others.

Lets say a reel is worth $40 -- I pay $60 because it is available now...

But there are others that are worth $40 -- that can be bought for $30 or $20, or $9.

It all goes back to condition.

And we all want a bargain whenever possible -- that is part of the fun.

In my former profession -- one of my duties was to buy vehicles from the wholesale auto auctions.  Might buy 2 or 3 truckloads of 1 year old cars about twice a month at Bay Cities, Golden Gate, or LA -- for our inventory.

Old timer taught me to just buy what I wanted -- and knew would sell -- regardless of the price.  Sharp, clean, low mileage one year old factory cars always sell well.

A truck holds 7 cars -- so I would always buy in lots of 7 increments to save on shipping.

If I bought 21 cars at wholesale -- and lets say a lot of guys thought I paid too much for 7 of them, all I would do is average the prices when I got back home the next day -- before putting them on the books.  No big deal -- since I made sure that I also got 7 at market value, and got another 7 dirt cheap because either the mileage was a little higher, wrong color, minor recon, other buyers asleep, or out of money for their operation.

However, we would have a good supply of cars -- and the dollars would still be the same -- and the salesman would not cherry pick the cars to sell and leave us with the leftovers.

At the end of the day -- I always look for bargains, we all do -- but I also know that it is just as easy to think we paid a little too much for an item -- only to find that we enjoy the item -- and can sell it at either break-even or a profit anytime we want.

If you don't have it -- you can't enjoy it, or resell it.

And most of us are not in this for the money -- just fun.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

The Fishing Hobby

festus

I spent a little over an hour crunching numbers.  Took the average prices of ebay sold D.A.M Quicks in the last few months.  Used Fred Oakes' method of throwing out the  lowest and highest numbers.  Didn't include the old original Finessas or Supers or the high speeds .  The most expensive of the series is the 110N.  The least expensive is the 440.

In order from high to low are:

110N
265 Microlite
440N
220N
550N
330N

festus

I saw a few minutes ago this 220 brought 200 bucks on ebay today.  :o

Swami805

Looks like a couple guys using a private buying service. Finding one new isn't easy, a couple collectors with deep pockets
Do what you can with that you have where you are

festus

......and a 110N just sold for $122.50 plus shipping.  Didn't even include the box, papers, or spare springs or shims.  :o

theswimmer

There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

Midway Tommy

My past research has found that a lot of those type crazy prices never actually get paid for and close. Sometimes it's a shill pushing the price up, sometimes there's buyer's remorse and the don't pay, etc., etc. I've gone back later and checked feedback on outrageous sales like those but a lot of times there isn't any evidence of the sale, and sometimes the reel gets relisted in a couple of weeks. You never know for sure whether those type sales are legit or not. A lot of times, not. 

Tommy D (ORCA), NE