114h upgrades for grouper

Started by troutman561, April 29, 2017, 11:55:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutman561

So I have been searching the forum for info on what to do and it's quite daunting considering the huge amount of info here. Basically I wanna set this reel up to winch large grouper from 200+ft of water. From what I have gathered, upgrading to the gen 2 gear sleeve, going with SS gears, handle upgrade, and adding the 7+1 drag upgrade would be the ticket without going wild? Anything else I should consider?

steelhead_killer

Handle and knob?  Mr. Tani sells a great knob that fits nice in your hand for winching...
><)))">

Bryan Young

I'm not sure if the brass gears would hold up but they are slower and would be better for grouper.   If you can find NOS stainless steel gears from the 114H Anniversary special, that would be better.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

troutman561

Bryan, any idea on the part number for that anniversary gear? I googled " penn senator 114h anniversary main gear" and other variations of that will no luck.

Shark Hunter

That is a tall order for a 114H.
I would put some serious groceries in there.
SS Sleeve, SS Gears from Black Pearl with an insert kit. Stainless arm and 5/0 grip.
For winching a Big Grouper, I would add a frame too.
I can see the posts twisting and the reel blowing up without one.

I'm not saying you have to spend a bunch of money, but I can't see a 114H pulling this off without these upgrades.
I've seen what these monsters are capable of.

Life is Good!

RowdyW

It was the same # as the bronze gear. It has not been made for many years. You just have to hunt for a used one that is for sale or find somebody that has a NOS that they want to sell. Just get in line, I've been looking for a couple for quite a while. They are almost as rare now as hens teeth.             Rudy

handi2

I've built a few for people using the Penn half frame found on the 114HL reels. The solid aluminum half frame. If you can find one of those reels on the auction site.

A Penn steel gear will work also.

The drag Insert from Motive Fab is the way to go on these reels. Nothing else beats it.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

troutman561

Quote from: Shark Hunter on April 30, 2017, 05:44:35 PM
That is a tall order for a 114H.
I would put some serious groceries in there.
SS Sleeve, SS Gears from Black Pearl with an insert kit. Stainless arm and 5/0 grip.
For winching a Big Grouper, I would add a frame too.
I can see the posts twisting and the reel blowing up without one.

I'm not saying you have to spend a bunch of money, but I can't see a 114H pulling this off without these upgrades.
I've seen what these monsters are capable of.

Thanks for the info. Where did you get that SS reel arm?

Alto Mare

If you're going with the upgrades, it is a good idea to install a second dog, but you will need to get creative with the grinding tool.
Here is what i'm talking about:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=3077.0
Did this a while back, things got out of hand from here...hold on to your wallet :).

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

troutman561

Yea I saw the double dog post. I'm not meticulous enough to pull that off. Wish there was a drop in option like I've seen on here for the 113h. And my wallet is already taking notice of everything. Frame $90, gears $75, sleeve $40, handle and arm will be $50ish. Drag upgrade $40. Basically $300. The bright side is the reel was free.

conchydong

Sometimes the cost of upgrades outweigh the practicality of the reel (is that a word?). Most do it for the love of the hobby and/or the reel's sentimental value. If you are fishing with braid, a 4/0 would give you enough capacity and the available upgrades are unlimited. Having said that a Baja special or a new US Senator would be a good choice for 99.9% of Groupers unless you are targeting Jewfish, Warsaws or record Blacks. 

Just my thoughts.

Scott.

troutman561

Quote from: conchydong on April 30, 2017, 11:36:53 PM
Sometimes the cost of upgrades outweigh the practicality of the reel (is that a word?). Most do it for the love of the hobby and/or the reel's sentimental value. If you are fishing with braid, a 4/0 would give you enough capacity and the available upgrades are unlimited. Having said that a Baja special or a new US Senator would be a good choice for 99.9% of Groupers unless you are targeting Jewfish, Warsaws or record Blacks. 

Just my thoughts.

Scott.

There is some sentimental value to the reel but throwing the drag upgrade in and using it as a trolling reel wouldn't hurt my feelings either. Any advantage of getting the narrow vs the standard spool on the US senator? Would still have to upgrade that hideous handle though.

David Hall

But you get to build it to your specs and then fish it.

Shark Hunter

That handle arm came from Lee.
There are comparative ones available from Three Se7ens,
They are the ultimate upgrade in my opinion.
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

When searching informations on upgrades, it is easier to type 114H on the search bar on the top right and you will get all the informations you'll need.
The 114h has five pages worth o info, lots of good stuff there.

Now I'm going to ask you a question: does your reel have frame posts, bars or one-piece frame? You will get away with all, except the frame posts.
You might already have ss gears in that reel, if you don't, look on line. Although most say those are hard to find, I do see them pop up every now and then.
A ss gear sleeve and drag upgrade...as you've mentioned above is all you would need.
As Daron has mentioned, a custom handle will help winching them up.

You do not need to go all out, I have some 114H that are worth $600, those are loaded with upgrades.
Is it worth it? that all depends on who you ask.
All reels have teir purpose, if you ask me, I'll say yes it is worth it.
When done with the upgrades, you won't find a better reel out there. Of course this is just my opinion.
Good luck with whatever you decide.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.