114h upgrades for grouper

Started by troutman561, April 29, 2017, 11:55:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Army_of_One

Quote from: Alto Mare on May 03, 2017, 12:19:39 AM
Quote from: troutman561 on May 02, 2017, 08:39:20 PM
Quote from: handi2 on April 30, 2017, 09:38:07 PM
I've built a few for people using the Penn half frame found on the 114HL reels. The solid aluminum half frame. If you can find one of those reels on the auction site.

A Penn steel gear will work also.

The drag Insert from Motive Fab is the way to go on these reels. Nothing else beats it.

Is this the Penn frame you speak of? I like the idea of a Penn part for the frame. Am I short changing myself not getting this Tiburon Frame? This is $70
I don't believe so.
I'm not sure who made those for Penn, could have been Tiburon, but probably not.
In my opinion, the machining on those is much better, not that there is anything wrong with Tiburon, I just like those a little better.
Make sure the screws are well greased when mounting it to the plates.

Sal
This can't be stressed enough.  I found a 114HLW with the aluminum frame.  It took some PB Blaster and persuasion to remove the seized screws without stripping the softer aluminum.
Another day in Paradise!

RowdyW

If you are using a used frame it would be a good idea to run an oiled 8-40 tap in all the holes to clean them out. I also do this with new frames in case there is any dirt in them.          Rudy

Alto Mare

Quote from: RowdyW on May 18, 2017, 01:09:17 AM
If you are using a used frame it would be a good idea to run an oiled 5-40 tap in all the holes to clean them out. I also do this with new frames in case there is any dirt in them.          Rudy
Good tip Rudy, I do the samre and also run one on my stars when servicing a reel, but don't have tapps for the larger reels, only the jigmaster size and 113H's. It does make a difference.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

troutman561

Ill definitely do that. Thanks guys! You all have been above and beyond helpful.

RowdyW

Quote from: Alto Mare on May 18, 2017, 01:49:03 AM
If you are using a used frame it would be a good idea to run an oiled 5-40 tap in all the holes to clean them out. I also do this with new frames in case there is any dirt in them.          Rudy
Good tip Rudy, I do the samre and also run one on my stars when servicing a reel, but don't have tapps for the larger reels, only the jigmaster size and 113H's. It does make a difference.

Sal
Sal, the tap size for the 114 & up frames, posts, & stands is 8-40. I get the cheap China ones on ebay to clean out those holes.        Rudy

Alto Mare

Quote from: RowdyW on May 18, 2017, 02:27:14 AM
Quote from: Alto Mare on May 18, 2017, 01:49:03 AM

Sal
Sal, the tap size for the 114 & up frames, posts, & stands is 8-40. I get the cheap China ones on ebay to clean out those holes.        Rudy

No Rudy, I have what I need for the holes, I was talking taps for the stars. On the 114h and up, those are buttress threads, you would need a custom buttress tap.

Sal

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

RowdyW

I guess those taps are pretty expensive & have to be special ordered. That's probably why Adam dosen't make stars for Senators larger then 113H. Maybe aftermarket gear sleeves should be made with a thread to match a more common thread size & then stars could be made for them at a reasonable price. Just a thought. Custom is custom, right?                       Rudy

Cortez_Conversions

Custom cutters are a must for the Penn buttress threads. They are a very old, specialized thread spec. Old school German specs. I grind my own for all the main gear sleeves I make. The stars wouldn't be too hard in a CNC machine. You just have to make the investment in tooling.
Tom
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

RowdyW

Tom, are buttress threads a must? Would other types of threads work just as well? Or is that the only type thread that will take the constant tightening & loosening & pressure ? Just courious as to why this type of thread was choosen by Penn if other types would have worked just as well like on 112/500 & 113H.              Rudy

Three se7ens

I would be interested in 114h gear sleeves with standard threads. I think the extra strength of stainless would negate the need for buttress threads.