Info on the Okuma Coldwater Line Counter

Started by Traildad, May 02, 2017, 06:11:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Traildad

Now that Alan has my reel working again I'd like to learn how to keep it working. I don't see it listed in the tutorial section. I've never taken my reels apart so I need some beginner help. I'm hoping for a tutorial specific to the Okuma Coldwater Line Counter or suggestions for any general info that will help me getting started. Thanks, Ken

alantani

the low profile bait casters are all very similar.  take a look at the shimano curado tutorial, and maybe some others and they will give you a good idea of how to proceed. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Traildad

I know it's been a while, but I've just been living with this problem. The line counter isn't working correctly or not at all. One I use for ocean fishing had stopped counting all together and wouldn't zero. The other day I got snagged and after breaking off it started to function again. Two I use for trout trolling stop and start moving when I let line in or out. Did i buy junk reels or is this common to all line counter reels? Is this most likely a maintenance issue or broken parts? These are the only line counters I've ever owned. I wasn't able to find the Curado tutorial yet. It doesn't sound like it will include the line counter. I like using a line counter for rockfishing and trolling. I'm open to suggestions including replacing the reels with a different brand if necessary. I'd like to have reliable line counters, hopefully in a mid level price range. Suggestions are welcome.

akfish

Those line counters are finicky and don't last long even under the best circumstances. All of their gears are nylon and they simply wear out. Fortunately, replacing them is easy and inexpensive. You can get a new line counter directly from Shimano.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

alantani

line counters are notoriously unreliable.  if you take them out and lube them first, they might last a season.  if not, they might last only a single trip. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Traildad

Quote from: akfish on August 26, 2018, 09:09:42 PM
Those line counters are finicky and don't last long even under the best circumstances. All of their gears are nylon and they simply wear out. Fortunately, replacing them is easy and inexpensive. You can get a new line counter directly from Shimano.
Do you mean Okuma? I have looked some and I find counter assembly but so far nothing that looks to be labeled as fitting my cw-354dlx. Do you know a good site for parts?

akfish

Sorry, yes I meant Okuma. I see lots more Shimano Line Counters, and those line counters are bad too...
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Gobi King

Traildad,
Linecounter are the used in the great lakes for salmon, walleye by nearly all charters. The charters here use them daily and they seem to always work.
Most of them are shimano, daiwa or okuma.
There is a reel service place in Ludington, MI called Tuna Tom, the charter I go with sends his reels out to him every year or two.

Shimano Tekotas are the most popular with the salmon guys and were are landing fish little bitty ones to 30 lbs.

Update:
The charter captain texted me back and said he is happy with the shimano tekota LC reels and has not encountered failures.
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Jimmer

I don't have any coldwaters, but I believe they a similar to the convector line. Tuna's reel troubles is where I get my parts. - Jimmer
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann