Getting close

Started by Lunker Larry, May 02, 2017, 10:53:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lunker Larry

Fishing season just about here in this part of the world. Boat is going in to get the scheduled 1000 hr timing belt change and everybody's reels are getting done but mine.
Season finished of on a high last year as we had a 47", 47.5" and a 52" in the boat in 20 mins. Can't wait to get in that first cast. Here's one from that epic end to the season.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

redsetta

Exciting times Larry!
Beautiful fish - is that a musky?
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Shark Hunter

Ah, Yes!
The mighty Muskellunge.
I have yet to catch one of those.
Life is Good!

borchcl

Nice muskies, good luck and stay safe is season!
Regards,
Charlie

Bill B

Good luck on the upcoming year.....hope you best that 52"....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

foakes

Beautiful Muskies, Larry --

Assuming you are fishing Ontario?

Not everyone can catch Muskies -- it takes patience, technique, and sometimes if everything comes together -- a little luck....

Lakers and Pike are much easier...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Lunker Larry

Yes, Lakers and Pike are much easier but you know what it's like when you get the bug for a certain species. Most other fishers think us muskie guys are nuts. "Hunting" muskie the last 20+ years  has left me with boxes of rusting and disintegrating bass and walleye baits. Lost a high 50s fish last year that what would have easily beaten my current personal best (53"). going to rectify that this year....my plan anyway. I know they're out there.  I'm blessed with being in an area with the best muskie waters in the world. Here's a picture of a 63" that was found dead in the spring of 2014 probably from winter kill.

Rivers and lakes are overflowing here right now. Nothing but rain rain rain. It will be interesting to see how it affects the opener this year. The other is just me with a typical grip and grin.

Tight lines all.
Larry

You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.

Bryan Young

Nick pike. That's a taste fish too.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Lunker Larry

Quote from: Bryan Young on May 03, 2017, 03:26:47 PM
Nick pike. That's a taste fish too.

Not a pike but same family.

Esox masquinongy = Muskie
Esox luscious = Pike

Here is what we provide people so they can tell the difference as regulations are different for each.
http://www.muskiescanada.ca/general_information/ktd.php
For example. No size limit on pike in the Ottawa River but minimum 54" for muskie

foakes

Another Photo of the Month candidate, Alan?

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

steelfish

I have a "thing" with the musky fishing, its in my bucket list but I dont have plans to try it anytime soon, but I have a nice musky rod on a calcutta 400TE that I use for inshore fishing in Baja that Im re-wraping it cuz its one of my favorites.

keep us informed your quest compadre Larry, just love to see those big boys
The Baja Guy

Lunker Larry

We've had record floods along the Ottawa and surrounding areas this year. Up tp 10 feet above average. Rains have finally stopped but reservoirs north are all maxed out holding back water in attempts to lessen water down river. Unbelievable flow to the river. Not looking forward to seeing the damage when it all recedes. Opener this year looks like a bust and rivers are not expected to get near normal until the end of June. Lots of homes flooded and I'm sure the river will have a different look when the flow returns to normal.
Here's a pic of where I store my pontoon boat. Won't be getting it soon.
First photo is a marina along the river. Second is where I store the pontoon for the winter. Third is what it is supposed to look like. My boat is where the white building is bottom right in the pic.