Krytox Grease...Is it worth it?

Started by farnorthlbg, May 04, 2017, 07:42:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

farnorthlbg

Hi guys

Ive been thinking of trying out Du Ponts Krytox grease for the two bearings inside my Winthrop Titanium roller-tops and guides on my custom rods.

Most other greases Ive used in these bearings either emulsify with saltwater or washes out after a marlin season.  Was hoping Krytox would lengthen the period of time in-between servicing and mantainance of these bearings.

So to those who have experience using Krytox, what are youre thoughts?  Does it absorb water?  Does it yield the longivity it claims?  I thought it would be a good idea to get opinions (good or bad) from guys who have used it, before I have to sell one of my body parts to pay for the stuff!

Cheers guys!...Jon

theswimmer

Jon , see post's referring to Yamaha Blue.
I think this will solve the majority of your problems.......
And it's cheap ;D
Cheers,
Jonathan
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

farnorthlbg

Tightlines667

I use corrosion X on my big game trolling rod bearings, and recommend annual service.  I have avoided grease because it seems to trap dust, grit, and salt.. can emulsify and harden over time and reduces the effectiveness of the bearings.  I use Penn Blue and Cal's on the reels. 

It sounds like you have alot of experience fishing heavy rollered rods so maybd I am off base and have been servicing my and few of my customer's rods incorrectly.  I am always willing to change.  I think bearings packed with good marine grease would be best if they have the watertight seals.  Rinsing and oiling regularily, and a single through service seasonally or annually seems the way to go on bearings that suffer from water intrusion.  I dissasemble them fully, submerge in mineral spirits and run through the sonic cleaner before lubing with corrosion X and reassembling.

We could use a post on how different folks service their rollered rods.  I have wondered about what the best products to use on the butts would be too.  I have seen a very sticky silicone lubricant/protectant used here to prevent salt intrusion.  I favor the corrosion X and liberal washing after use methodology.  I pull me reels off of the rods often enough for a more through cleaning though. 

I think the key point really is to service your equipment regularily.  Don't forget the rods, knives, tools, lures/skirts, and hooks.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Glos

I`ve heard that it`s not so good, mainly because it`s soap based and therefore doesn`t do well with other greases

I would try to use NLGI 00 EP types of greases and with that type being between oil and grease in viscosity I would fill up the reel with it
Luck is when good preparation meets opportunity.

thorhammer

Quote from: Tightlines666 on May 10, 2017, 06:18:48 AM
I use corrosion X on my big game trolling rod bearings, and recommend annual service.  I have avoided grease because it seems to trap dust, grit, and salt.. can emulsify and harden over time and reduces the effectiveness of the bearings.  I use Penn Blue and Cal's on the reels. 

It sounds like you have alot of experience fishing heavy rollered rods so maybd I am off base and have been servicing my and few of my customer's rods incorrectly.  I am always willing to change.  I think bearings packed with good marine grease would be best if they have the watertight seals.  Rinsing and oiling regularily, and a single through service seasonally or annually seems the way to go on bearings that suffer from water intrusion.  I dissasemble them fully, submerge in mineral spirits and run through the sonic cleaner before lubing with corrosion X and reassembling.

We could use a post on how different folks service their rollered rods.  I have wondered about what the best products to use on the butts would be too.  I have seen a very sticky silicone lubricant/protectant used here to prevent salt intrusion.  I favor the corrosion X and liberal washing after use methodology.  I pull me reels off of the rods often enough for a more through cleaning though. 

I think the key point really is to service your equipment regularily.  Don't forget the rods, knives, tools, lures/skirts, and hooks.

John

I was doing a quickie rescue on a yard sale 650SS and decided to myself, "Self, if you have to get 90% of the way there on two things, Penn Blue on heavy parts and carpet bomb the rest with Corrosion X".

Donnyboat

Hi Jon, not very much grease on the drag dog, if the grease drys out, then the dog wont pivot, Yamaha marine grease does not dry like most greases, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat