Budget question....

Started by R46chevy, May 04, 2017, 09:28:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R46chevy

I am looking for a new rod for the SOA trip. The one I was looking at no one will give a thumbs up for, and everone is saying rods in the 400 to 600 range. My question is what does a custom rod cost if the blank is $185, my thought is if I am going to spend 400+ I should get everything I want.
Any advice?

Thanks in advance,
Ed

Newell Nut

You have to add tax and shipping to the cost of the blank. Guide choice cost can go crazy in excess of 100 plus tax and shipping and the same goes for the handle section. Decal, thread and epoxy cost plus labor and shipping the rod to the customer. It is like buying a car. Options are costly.

Aiala

If there's time, you couldn't do better than to let Dwight (Newell Nut) build you a rod. His work is beyond spectacular!  :)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

MarkT

What blank are you looking at and what will you use it for?
I'm going with an Avet HX Raptor w/60# on a Phenix phd700x2h, 7', rated 40-100 if we get into 100#ers.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

SoCalAngler

What are you looking at?

You can buy state of the art already built rods from several manufactures for way less than $400. Unless your looking to buy something way over kill for that trip, and this includes trolling rods, you can find really great rods off the shelf for much less.

$185 for just the blank seems really high to me also.

R46chevy

Thank you everyone for your responses.
I was originally going to buy a Shimano tallus 8 foot heavy. Not many people have used it. Others told me to do my homework and look into UC and Phenix calstar etc.  I was looking at some of them and was thinking if I was going to spend that much I may just have a rod made, and have a lil bit of fun with it. I am looking for a lighter weight rod that will balance with the avet HX. I was looking at the UC raptor 7'6 or the grafighter GFGR-800XH or GFDH 800XH. If seem kinda confused, it is because I kinda am.

MarkT

The 7'6" Raptor would be good with an HX Raptor. You are going to rail it, right? A factory rod is pushing $500.

For 50#, I have an 8' UC US80 Tilefish and a 7'6" Phenix phd760xh. Also a Seeker G6470H and a 6465H.  I'll probably just bring the phd760xh for 50#.

The Shogun, after their trip to Guadalupe this week, is recommending 20-60.  The weather was up, the 'lupe was pretty dead, they only got a few YT so left after 1 1/2 days and picked up some BFT offshore close to home.  The Indy got some 30-40# YFT 88 miles south of San Diego.

SoCalAngler

Yeah my nephew was on that Shogun trip. I think he said around 30 fish were caught in total and just a handful of yt at the Lupe.
His buddy that went with him did land one bft around 100 lbs after the boat moved closer to the beach.

I know it's hard for a lot of people to do but if you can get to a tackle shop or two and pull on some rods and see what feels best to you.

If I were you I'd also look at glass rods when I was checking out the composites. They keep the budget down and still fish fine. All glass rods do weigh a bit more but are not a whole lot heavier. Check out a Calstar 6480 for a good all glass rod for 50 lb test that can handle 60 no problem, I own one and it fishes fine.

Edit: Here is a pic of the bft caught, My nephew Preston is holding the fish and Josh his buddy that caught the fish is on the right.

Jim Fujitani

You might also want to consider if this is a rod you intend to use for the next X number of years, on X number of trips, and if you can use it for something other than the SOA trip (meaning something locally for you)?  To get more mileage for your dollar...

If you are going to have a rod built for you, or build it yourself, you might also seriously consider an acid (spiral) wrap.  The spiral wrapped guides will take the torque issue out of the conventional reel "big fish fight" equation.  

If I was just getting into Long Range and I had "unlimited" funds, I would consider conventional rods for 50# lines and above be spiral-wrapped 7 1/2 or 8-foot rail rods.

Good luck with your decision!!

MarkT

Ed, modify your ad over on BD and offer to trade a Mak for a rod you want.

R46chevy

Thank you everyone for your advice. I ended up getting two rods.