Fishing the Rock

Started by steelfish, May 05, 2017, 01:35:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

this past weekend was a holiday on Mexico so I went fishing on local waters with some friends, just in front of my town, 20 miles from the shore there is a big rock "Island", on a good day with calm wind you can get there on 35-40 minutes or less.

nothing expectacular that day, just normal fishing for Sierras, corvinas, and a nice sized Cabrilla Leopard grouper

nice and beautiful morning to relax, enjoy the sea and get some fish to eat healthy

this is the Rock, its barely visible from the shore, normally called Island but its just an emerged Rock in the middle of nowhere, there is nothing else where to fish few miles around.

there were no tons of Sierra like previous years but they were plenty to spend the day busy and all of them were good size and fought like a mad bull

then I got lucky and caught this Cabrilla with my FTH 40LD2 and the Phenix Axis 820H, really love this combo.

before gettin to the dock we stopped to caught some Curvinas red mouth/ yellowtail and some croakers on a drop loop.

the best part of fishing in local waters is that you are in your home filleting the fish at 3pm, my house is at 10 minutes from the Dock, Gonzaga area have better fisheries but is almost 2 hrs south from me, it really worth the time and expense to go there but as you can see there are some nice local quality fish too.

The Baja Guy

ChileRelleno

Sounds like fun and looks productive to me.  ;)
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Bill B

Great job....love fishing right out the back door...Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

bhale1

Alex,
Wow, good job! I'm so jealous, for me that trip would take weeks if not months to put together....Cuz I'm sort of landlocked over here in Arizona... ;D is that the Phenix rod you showed in one of your re-build posts? Glad your liking it and putting it to good use!
Brett

Cor

Nice to live so close to your fishing waters.   Great catch for a few hours fishing.
Cornelis

David Hall

What a day on the water, and it's your local fishery, beautiful!  Thanks for sharing that.

HOLEINTHEWATER

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Cortez_Conversions

Thanks for sharing Alex!
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

steelfish

Quote from: bhale1 on May 05, 2017, 04:25:46 AM
Alex,
Wow, good job! I'm so jealous, for me that trip would take weeks if not months to put together....Cuz I'm sort of landlocked over here in Arizona... ;D is that the Phenix rod you showed in one of your re-build posts? Glad your liking it and putting it to good use!
Brett

well thanks buddy, you can get fish the same area but it the other side of the pond, in Rocky point, Sonora, its not that far from you and fisheries are almost the same than San Felipe, Baja

the Phenix rod havent been modified yet, but yes its the one I talked about on another thread, my plan its to make it acid wrapped, I have used it 2 times and really like it, for my local needs it can be used for medium trolling, bait fishing and cast irons so, its a pretty versatile rod.

thanks Guys, its nice to be able to fish without have to schedule a trip weeks before
The Baja Guy

coastal_dan

Very nice!  Looks like good eating and a fantastic day on the water.  Love my Bubba blade as well  ;)
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

MarkT

Pink always seems like a good color in the gulf. I've caught Sierra but never kept one. I hear they're good eating.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

conchydong

Nice work. I live in S. Florida and can make the trip to the Keys for better fishing but I can usually catch enough locally to have multiple meals for a week or two. That is good enough for me. I do not care to freeze a lot of fish as fresh is sooooo much better. My buddy and I went yesterday and caught our legal limit of Vermilion snappers and a couple of big Porgies. One was huge.

steelfish

Quote from: MarkT on May 06, 2017, 12:29:55 AM
Pink always seems like a good color in the gulf. I've caught Sierra but never kept one. I hear they're good eating.

Mark, when fishing the Cortez sea you should always have lures in pink, sardine and "malboro" (red head/white body)

next time keep one or two and do some "potato cakes" but instead of potate use sierra meat,  we call them "gorditas" of fish, use some cream cheese on top of the gordita and next time you will never release another sierra, the next one you can prepare some meatball soup with it, same deal, use sierra meat instead of ground beef and last but no least the famous "Ceviche de Sierra".
my kids love sierra finger-food, cut some strips of sierra, then they go to the eggs, cracked ritz cookies, eggs again and then some shredded coconut, you should try it, we use this last recipe with YT too.

The Baja Guy