P229F. New ones

Started by kili05, May 10, 2011, 09:03:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kili05

I just purchased a new  229 from an online dealer.  I took it apart to change the brakes and to grease and oil.

1st thing I found was that the clicker dog kept sneaking under the clicker spring because the spring wasn't tightened down enough. After some playing with the tension, I got it to work (over tightening makes the reel not work so good).

2nd thing was That there was 1 tension washer (3-14) and 2 drag lock washers (3-18) under the star instead of 2 tension washers and 1 drag lock washer like the schematic says.  I called the place I bought the reel from and they tell me that it's all good.  He refers to a note on the schematic that he was reading that said "some parts may be exchanged for other parts". I ask him where that it because I don't see it on mine.  Then I ask him if he's looking at a p series 200 reel.  He says no. 

Also the new philips screw heads aren't machined very well.  I needed a #2, #1, and a #0 to remove/put back the screws.  I'm pretty sure they're all supposed to be #2s.

I love newels, but looks like I'll have to stick with the original P's. 

alantani

kiki, i wouln't worry about the jumbled up parts.  that is something that is found in newell reels all the time. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

kili05

I hear you Alan.  I thought, maybe, the guys I bought it from was going to send me the missing washer.  By the way, can I switch out the new screws for the old ones-flat head? Or maybe a torx or different type of head?

alantani

i'm certain you could find replacement stainless steel screws in a 5-40 thread.  i've looked all over and can still not figure out where newell gets theirs.  :-\

BMITCH

Alan, I was able to find the slotted fillister head screws at a company called Micro Fasteners. They carry the 5-40 thread size. The only catch is they do not have the exact lengths that Newell reels call for. They do carry slightly longer and shorter sizes. The price is right though. You can order by the 100's not in large 1000's quantities. Hope this helps. You can reach them at their 800-892-6917. And they are SS. hope this helps.
luck is the residue of design.

alantani

i just order some.  thanks for a great find!

Ratchet

Quote from: alantani on February 02, 2012, 10:01:20 PM
i just order some.  thanks for a great find!

Alan,

I am under the impression that Newell used non-standard machine screws on his reels.  Non-standard in the sense that, for example, his 5-40 filister head screw, a one size smaller screw head is substituted.  If you find a source, I need to replace a whole bunch of Philip sideplate screws with the flat blade version.

Thanks,

alantani

not sure about the sizes of the screw heads, but it would surprise me if carl newell had screws that were custom ordered.  you have to order thousands at a time to bring the price down.

BMITCH

Alan, just did an upgrade to my P235-5 with the new Tib.N235 frame. I used the fillister screws from mico fattener that I told you about. Although they were slightly longer(3/8 verses 9/32) all seemed to go well. This new frame is really sweet. As for the head size, they appear to be the same size as the originals.
luck is the residue of design.

alantani

thanks for that.  i was figuring that was the case.

Ratchet

Quote from: BMITCH on February 05, 2012, 09:42:16 PM
As for the head size, they appear to be the same size as the originals.

Excellent, thanks.

kili05

Wait...correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't we looking for oval head in the 5-40?  the fillister head is for attaching the bridge plate to the side plate and it's a 6-40 ???

Ratchet

Quote from: kili05 on February 24, 2012, 01:19:04 AM
Wait...correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't we looking for oval head in the 5-40?  the fillister head is for attaching the bridge plate to the side plate and it's a 6-40 ???

Kilio5,

Yes, you are correct.  I'm still looking for the oval head screws and I still believe they have to be special ordered because I think the 5-40 screw that I need has to have the undersized head.  Oval headed screws are not stocked locally in bulk so I have never been able to verify this.  Also as AlanT noted, a minimum special order would have to be made in the thousands, but I just need a hundred pieces or so.

The fillister head screws are common, but you might have to trim them to length.  I vaguely recall you needed an odd length on some reels but don't quote me on that one.

jtibill

Quote from: alantani on June 23, 2011, 03:54:28 PM
i'm certain you could find replacement stainless steel screws in a 5-40 thread.  i've looked all over and can still not figure out where newell gets theirs.  :-\

Hi Alan,
You can get them here http://www.mcmaster.com