My newest favorite Narrow

Started by gstours, May 06, 2017, 03:54:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

This has been my latest fun project.  Thanks to Randy on this forum a good Yello T Special was obtained.  He even removed the parts I did not need for my project and reduced the cost! :-*   (tanks randy!)
   A nother pal, Sal shared some Acetal sheet for my use last year.  I roughed out some pcs with undersized holes punched as shown.

The sheet seems to be .035 inch.  I used these on my latest take aparts,  These work great.   Smooth and very tough.

The cat inspects the critical parts.  Everything passes muster.   Now work can proceed! ::) 

More on this reel soon,  As I get time.   Enjoy. 8)

gstours

Sorry abouut the blank picture.  Heres a try at a redo. >:(

[/s
  Here is how the acetal washer was made under the gear.  The inner hole was punched and filed to size then the washer was turned on this mandrel using the steel washers as a guide.  A belt grinder w 60 grit cuts the acetal material nicely.

The double dog was milled on the faceplate using a cross feed vice on a drillpress as shown.
MG_5227_zpsz9db5rz8.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
Also the end cutting carbide bits cut clean and easy.  Here are the two that I used.

The red dust is from Penn Plates, done earlier.   Its 1/4 '' dia.

This smaller bit is 1/16'' dia. and used to make the little pocket for the end of the spring to hold its end movement.

This was the modification as shown.    The plate was screwed to a wooded jig and clamped in the cross feed vice. 

The sst dogs ware removed from another Penn 113h reel.  As were the gears.

The steel gear shown has a hex insert inside (tig tacked) is a little taller than stock and works very well.  Gear ratio is 3:31/1

The added dog fits nicely.   The spring was made from an Abu Garcia reel that had a usable pc of material using simple compound tin snips and some pliers and sandpaper in the kitchen.

It all went together with a little fuss.  The Pro Gear reel is my first, and certainly not the last.   Thanks for questions and Ideas?  :)

swill88

I like it Gary. Do you do the milling on a drill press? Also,
Why are we whispering? :)

Steve

David Hall

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dominick

Good work there my friend.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

STRIPER LOU

Wow, cats and dog's, very nice Gary! ;D

...................Lou

mhc

Very neat work with the end mill and nice dogs.
Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Rancanfish

My pleasure Gary!  But we need to see that big gun when it's all together.

I'm sure you will get more use out of that size reel than I ever would have.

I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

gstours

Thanks For the comments,  Ive been super busy with retired life?  The assembled reel is still in the camera.   More soon!