Newell S344-5

Started by JackC, February 22, 2011, 04:41:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newell Nut

The sound is a clean oiled AR dog. If you grease the dog the sound will do away but the dog is sluggish. I prefer the clean crisp sound of a dog snapped crisply into the gear sleeve sprocket.

reel man

If you have a gear alignment problem you'll get that coffee grinding noise.  I use a depth gauge, or simply a caliper with a built in depth gauge  pin. I take a measurement of the height of the tabs on the jack plate, and a measurement of the height of the yoke tabs to make sure both or within 2 or 3 thou of each other. If they are then the pinion is rising vertically, and correctly even, so it will keep the pinion in line with the main gear.  Sounds complicated, but once the measurements are taken you can eliminate any problem with the pinion alignment to the main gear. The pinion gear rides on the spool shaft spindle, but will have a little movement. Once the spool is removed the pinion will have a lot of slop.

I manually roll the pinion gear against the main gear to feel the smoothness of the gear mesh.  If the feel is rough then that can be caused by bad teeth on the pinion or the main gear.  My recommendation is to never buy just a pinion gear, or a main gear hoping they'll match up smoothly with your gears.

Am hoping your gears run smoothly against each other.  Finding replacement parts for Newells is becoming more and more difficult.  I do have some pinions and mains for the 5:1 gears, so if you find the need to replace yours then shoot me a PM.

steelfish

Jerry

on an oportunity I will take the jake plate to measure yoke tabs, the pinion feels really sloppy when I was checking for the sound while having the right side plate taken out and cranking the handle (I dont know if thats normal, the pinion really sloppy that way), another thing that I found different on my newells is that when you put the lever on free spool and turn the handle you hear a little grinding sound like if the gears are still touching a bit and you feel a small resistance on the handle, on penn reels 113h, 320gti, etc when you put the reel on free spool the handle feels completely lose and if you turn it there is not a single sound at all (main gear are not touching the pinion at all), Im completely new to newell so this might normal or maybe its a sign of mis-aligment (spell) between pinion and main gear

The Baja Guy

reel man

The pinion gear always stays in contact with the main gear. When you put it in freespool all you do is pull the pinion gear away from the spool. Again if you feel the grinding when the reel is in freespool I'd still check the height of the tabs, and see if the yoke shows excessive wear around the pinion gear.

enfish

Quote from: steelfish on June 04, 2017, 04:04:58 AM
the pinion feels really sloppy when I was checking for the sound while having the right side plate taken out and cranking the handle (I dont know if thats normal, the pinion really sloppy that way)

That sounds normal. The pinion gear needs to have the spool shaft going through it to keep it in place, otherwise it's just floating around and will be sloppy if you're cranking with the right side plate removed.

In addition to what Jerry said about the yoke, it's also possible you may need a slight adjustment in the spool position by adjusting the bearing caps or using shims underneath the bearings, if necessary, to push the spool slightly to the left.

steelfish

Quote from: OnoEric on June 04, 2017, 02:25:51 PM
.....if necessary, to push the spool slightly to the left.

I could try that out, thanks
The Baja Guy