Restoration of an Edward vom Hofe model 621 size 3/0

Started by sdlehr, May 08, 2017, 09:45:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

Quote from: sdlehr on May 09, 2017, 05:08:15 AM
Quote from: Tightlines666 on May 09, 2017, 03:55:48 AM
You may want to check with the guy that recently picked up that batch of Vom Hofe parts for your screw and bearing.  Or just post up a request on ORCA once you get the specs.  I'm sure someone will help you out.
Do you know who that was? Do tell...

Sid

I am not sure actually.   May want to check with Brian Funai to see if the winner ever contacted him.  I was tempted to buy this lot, but ended up passing.

http://reeltalk.orcaonline.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=19970
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

oc1

It's stunning Sid. 

Where are the ramps on the yoke?

I've seen lathe marks like that.  Do you think they roughly molded the side plates and then milled them to the proper tolerance?  Or, did they start from scratch with a big chunk of hard rubber stock?
-steve

STRIPER LOU

Excellent job Sid. She's a beauty.

Sometimes I use a 2 sided eraser for a sanding block. An ink eraser can also be used to take out small scratches.

A handy item to have.

Keep up the great work,  ..  Lou

sdlehr

Quote from: oc1 on May 09, 2017, 08:30:31 AM
Where are the ramps on the yoke?
in the picture you are looking down on the eccentric jack, the pinion yoke is below it. The ramps are on the surface of the jack you can't see, between it and the yoke (obv).
I've seen lathe marks like that.  Do you think they roughly molded the side plates and then milled them to the proper tolerance?  Or, did they start from scratch with a big chunk of hard rubber stock?
-steve
Good question, Steve. Not knowing much about this I would guess they molded the plates with the trim rings attached as circular disks of hard rubber which were then turned in a lathe and finally milled to final specs. I would assume they drilled the frame holes in both plates simultaneously laid back-to-back. The biggest after-milling task would seem to be the placement of the collar. These reels are like finely-tuned machines. I am honored to be capable of doing this work on them.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

sdlehr

Quote from: STRIPER LOU on May 09, 2017, 11:49:01 AM
Excellent job Sid. She's a beauty.

Sometimes I use a 2 sided eraser for a sanding block. An ink eraser can also be used to take out small scratches.

A handy item to have.

Keep up the great work,  ..  Lou
thanks, Lou. Funny you should mention that. I wasn't going to give up all my secrets, but I did use a pencil eraser and Tin oxide polishing powder to do those rounded contours. The tin oxide wasn't aggressive enough. I had to be really heavy-handed, and it took a long time. I'd rather err on being less than more aggressive, though. I figured the soft rubber eraser wasn't going to harm the hard rubber side plates, and that's where I want to be with this.

Sid
Sid Lehr

coastal_dan

:o  Well done, sir.  Fantastic documentation and photography.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

sdlehr

Do you think they roughly molded the side plates and then milled them to the proper tolerance?  Or, did they start from scratch with a big chunk of hard rubber stock?
-steve
Here's the bare plates. I think they did everything on the lathe except for the holes drilled for screws, throw-off lever, (also called "rim controls" in EVH-speak, same function on the right as Penn eccentric lever) and the collar. Nothing was recessed into the hard rubber on the inside (like it is in Penn), it all stands above. Note two throw-off levers, one on the left for the drag mechanism on the left side of the spool.

Also note the UV damage to the surface of the hard rubber, and where it was shielded from UV the original black of the ebonite is seen. I finish my first sanding step when I can just barely see the delineation between UV-exposed and unexposed. This is my next restoration victim, an EVH 621 4/0. I've completed disassembly, cleaning and metal polishing is 80% done. The plates will take several hours from start to finish, I didn't  time it last time (or ever), and I don't go straight through. I have to take breaks after about 20-30 minutes. It's pretty monotonous. Maybe I'll time the process this time. I have to go out and install a drip sprinkler system in the garden first.... gotta make hay when the sun shines.

Sid
Sid Lehr

foakes

Very nice, Sid --

How does the simichrome shine hold up on the hard rubber after a few days?

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

sdlehr

Quote from: foakes on May 09, 2017, 05:09:29 PM
Very nice, Sid --
How does the simichrome shine hold up on the hard rubber after a few days?

Best,

Fred
As long as the reel isn't stored in the sun I expect the Simichrome shine to hold up for months-years. There are oxidizing agents in every home, and slowly the dullness will reappear, as will the patina (read tarnish). Interesting question to ask the ORCA folks. I'll report back.
Sid Lehr

sdlehr

Oh, I get it, Fred. The reel isn't wet and the Simichrome doesn't add anything to the hard rubber surface. It is a polish. What you see is the mirror-like surface I have polished on each plate, very much like what one would find on a new bowling ball, and of the same material. I dare say I have brought the level of luster of these side plates to one that exceeds that when they were originally produced. I think I did a good job of returning the metal to factory condition; except I'm guessing at original factory condition, I don't really know.

Sid
Sid Lehr

foakes

Thanks, Sid --

I have more than a few old reels with black or brown hard rubber sideplates slated for lamp deco.

I'll try the simichrome on them -- nothing of VH quality -- just Shakes, 4 Brothers, Pflluegers, ,etc.

Like you said most are near a century young.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

sdlehr

Fred, in what I did Simichrome was just the last step of a multi-step process starting with 400-grit wet/dry and moving to 2000-grit in steps. If you skip those steps I doubt you'll be pleased with the Simichrome results; like I said, the plate prep takes a few hours the way I did it, and it's messy. I do the wet-sanding on a folded up towel.

Sid
Sid Lehr