My technique for making Carbontex drag washers

Started by The Fishing Hobby, May 08, 2017, 10:02:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Fishing Hobby

Just thought I would share my method for making Carbontex drag washers from sheet stock.
I finished putting this video together today, maybe someone will find it useful.

oc1

Really nice job.  I'll remember that, especially the part about running the drill bit in reverse.
-steve

The Fishing Hobby

Running in reverse may not be necessary with a small hole but the center hole on these are pretty large. You could start with a small hole and work your way up, but drilling in reverse saves the hassle.

Decker

Very nice tutorial.   I'm going to have to try it sometime.

Keta

Thank you for the video.

I am forced to take my CF sheets to the laser cutter to have them cut out my washers.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

The Fishing Hobby

Quote from: Keta on May 09, 2017, 02:07:32 PM
Thank you for the video.

I am forced to take my CF sheets to the laser cutter to have them cut out my washers.
I am sure that makes a much nicer finished washer. This makes for a pretty good finished washer. Not NASA tolerances but we aren't sending a man to space here either!
Just out of curiosity, what does having them laser cut cost? I hope you don't mind me asking, but I just have no idea what something like that would cost.

Keta

Quote from: The Fishing Hobby on May 09, 2017, 02:13:08 PM
Just out of curiosity, what does having them laser cut cost? I hope you don't mind me asking, but I just have no idea what something like that would cost.

$0.50 a piece but they have cut 3 sheets for me no charge.  The laser cuts Delrin nice too.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

The Fishing Hobby

Decker

Quote from: Keta on May 09, 2017, 02:16:49 PM
Quote from: The Fishing Hobby on May 09, 2017, 02:13:08 PM

$0.50 a piece but they have cut 3 sheets for me no charge.  The laser cuts Delrin nice too.

Sweet. 

The Fishing Hobby

This process takes approximately 15 minutes from start to finish for me. I stack them on the screw and do them all at the same time. I did one in the video as an example. It isn't hard to do but I am sure if you have a person who can laser cut it in your area for that sort of price that would be the way to go. I live in a fairly small town so I doubt there is anyone nearby that offers laser cutting services, but I do think I will check around just in case.

Keta

We need to know how to do these by hand and most of us do not have access to laser and water cutters.  I have had poor success with cutting Delrin, lots of cracks. 

Mark Twain

The Fishing Hobby

Quote from: Keta on May 09, 2017, 02:43:11 PM
We need to know how to do these by hand and most of us do not have access to laser and water cutters.  I have had poor success with cutting Delrin, lots of cracks. 
I have worked with Delrin on my metal lathe, it cuts nicely with high speed steel tooling. It also turns nicely on a wood lathe with high speed steel chisels. They also make special plastic cutting drill bits that don't dig in the way that drill bits made for wood and metal do.

Keta

I have a set of Forsner drill bits but the sizes I have do not always match the size I need.  I grind the OD of CF and Delrin with my belt sander.

Mark Twain

The Fishing Hobby

Quote from: Keta on May 09, 2017, 03:02:27 PM
I have a set of Forsner drill bits but the sizes I have do not always match the size I need.  I grind the OD of CF and Delrin with my belt sander.
An inexpensive beam type of circle/hole cutter is adjustable to any size in its range of adjustment and makes a very clean cut if used in a drill press at a slow speed. They don't work well with a hand-held drill. I own a Mibro one that can be found on Amazon that works well for my purposes. What size holes are you needing?

Keta

I prefer using a drill press when I can and have 2 in my barn, a large one on the floor and a small one on my bench.

Mark Twain