My technique for making Carbontex drag washers

Started by The Fishing Hobby, May 08, 2017, 10:02:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Fishing Hobby

Look into beam type hole cutters. They are available in different sizes, you may find one that will suit your needs. The cutters can be reversed to cut either circles or holes with a clean edge.

Keta

I have one in the lathe tooling that was with the small lathe I tried to restore.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

The Fishing Hobby

Here is a link to my instructable that goes into more detail on the process of making these washers: https://www.instructables.com/id/Make-Carbontex-Drag-Washers-From-Sheet-Stock/

foakes

Excellent tutorial, Kevin!

You do a great job of explaining.

Not sure if this other small detail I do when using your technique, was explained, or not?

When stacking a spindle-full of drag washers together -- one can generally use the SS or old brass drag washers as a guide -- providing they are not eared or keyed.

Just install a couple on both ends of your stack to be filed before chucking it up -- tighten the nut against the stack -- this gives you a non-moving target for the file -- plus the template from the original drag washers insure a quick and accurate job completion the first time.

Drill press or lathe works best --  however with this last technique, even a hand drill will result in a perfect CF washer quickly and accurately.

Thanks again!

Your tutorials are very professional.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

The Fishing Hobby

That would work well too. This one had flats on the hole for the metal washers that weren't tabbed so they wouldn't fit onto the screw. The screwhead being the same size was just shear luck. I would consider cutting a screwhead down and just using it as a jig for making future washers for the same reel or if you have multiple reels. You could do the same with a nut as well. That is if your metal washers won't work out for you as a guide of course!
Great tip, thanks!

handi2

For making Carbontex washers for odd reels a lot of us use the double punches from this company. You can punch many without having to take them out of the punch. I punched 5 just a few minutes ago for a Fin Nor 30H star drag reel. 5/16 x 1 1/2.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

The Fishing Hobby

:o
I would love to have a set like that but my wife would kill me!!!  ;D
Looks like a really nice set!

TheReelShop

Quote from: The Fishing Hobby on May 08, 2017, 10:02:49 PM
Just thought I would share my method for making Carbontex drag washers from sheet stock.
I finished putting this video together today, maybe someone will find it useful.

Neat work there,  I do the same thing with my washers. The only difference I do is use hole saws a little bit larger than the size I need, and I then sand to size. Good stuff.
Quote from: handi2 on May 09, 2017, 05:20:48 PM
For making Carbontex washers for odd reels a lot of us use the double punches from this company. You can punch many without having to take them out of the punch. I punched 5 just a few minutes ago for a Fin Nor 30H star drag reel. 5/16 x 1 1/2.

That hole punch kit is appealing. What do those retail for?

handi2

Old post butt.

Just open a commercial account with Dawn at Smooth Drag

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL