Testing 1-2-3

Started by Maxed Out, May 09, 2017, 01:04:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxed Out

This is only a test. If at anytime you get alarmed at my craziness, please step away from the screen or it may rub off on you!!  :D :D

I been wanting to put a Cortez 4/0 thru it's paces and finally had a weather window and an open day of offshore fishing. I tried getting a traveling partner, but since it was a Thursday I had no takers, so off I went on solo mission to Fish a Cortez 4/0. Launched out my back yard and ran 3 1/2 hours @ 31knts to marina on the edge of oblivion(Neah Bay). Thru down anchor and got a few hours shut eye and up at 5am to run 46 miles offshore. I fished the bottom in 550-around 750' and had many takers, but only kept the 2 pictured. The others were safely released.

The reel worked flawlessly with Pro Challenger 4/1 gear set and ht-100 drags. I had it loaded with 80# spectra and clip that to about 3' piece of 130# mono and tie to jig. The jigs of choice are not for sissys. The pipe jig is 40 ounces and the cod jig is approx 35 ounces(1,000 grams). Either one will give you a workout. These 2 ling cod pictured here were troublemakers..... both of them violently peeled off line as I had the drag set at about 75%. Everything worked flawlessly.

159 miles each way is a lot of running time, and if anyone questions my sanity, it won't be the first time, or likely the last.  ;D ;D I averaged 31 knots both directions and was blessed with the flattest water anyone could dream up.....that was the plan all along LOL..... and now the truth is out, I really do fish my reels, just not all at once  ;D ;D

-Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

MarkT

You are mad, Max! I wouldn't fish in 750' without an electric reel.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Maxed Out

...and a view of the water while on the way up the strait of Juan De Fuca. When weather rolls in this is no place to be, which is about 98% of the time. This trip was opposite and flat like a satin sheet. I was running at 31knts for both these pics. It looks like I'm sitting still looking in the pic looking out front.

Maxed Out

.....and the blood red Cortez 4/0 back home and ready for the next adventure.

BTW, the Cortez 4/0 plate sets are now available on Cortez Conversions website. Perhaps Tom or a moderator could post a link.

-Ted

Dominick

Instead of Maxed Out you are hereby dubbed Mad Max.   :D Nice lings.  Too deep for me.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

broadway

You brought a heck of a gun to that gunfight... Maxed out and Cortezed up!
That water looks beautiful but that sky looks ominous.  Glad you made it back safely and with some tasty table fare.
Damn, those jigs are huge!
Thanks for taking us along with ya,
Dom

Alto Mare

Excellent report Ted! Crazy or not, I wish I was right next to you on that trip.
Love to see those fishing machines that have been created here in action.
Thanks for sharing.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mo65

Great report Ted! This makes my fishing look like kid stuff...I'm humbled. :-[
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Tightlines667

Ted,
Now that is some dedication.  They say they thrill is in the chase.  By that token you nailed it.  Beats the heck outta sitting on the coach anyways.  Just don't calculate or tell your wife the dollars/lb of fillet or she might send you to grocery store ;)

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

MarkT

As flat as it was out there I'm surprised every Washi googan wasn't out there. I guess it was crowded out of WP that day.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

David Hall

That is one brace run, the straights are no place to be in bad weather and it can get horrendously bad.
Way to stretch it out Ted. Exactly where did you fish? 

Vintage Offshore Tackle

What a ballsy adventure, especially solo.  You're the man Ted!

vilters

great report and pics. good on you going the distance and getting the groceries. keep up the field testing!

handi2

Ive always said "you ain't right"..!

I love it when the water is like that. Its uncommon where I live but it does happen.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

STRIPER LOU

I seldom get to see the water so flat. Great trip! Man, that's a long way out to the fishing grounds!

What's for supper?

............Lou