alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial Site not secure
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
October 18, 2017, 03:08:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Site not secure  (Read 1411 times)
smnaguwa

« on: May 10, 2017, 05:19:32 AM »

For the first time, I received a notification that the site was not secure. My server problem?
Decker
Webmaster

One fish, two fish, red fish, bluefish.

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 07:27:36 AM »

Hi smnaguwa,

Many browsers are now giving warnings to users when logging into sites that are not secure.  The AlanTani.com login is not currently secured.  It means that anything that you post or read on the site could be picked up on the networks through which you are connected.  This includes your AlanTani.com account password.  For this reason, do not use a a password on this site that is also used on another site that you access, especially a password used to access financial accounts.  If you were to do so, someone could capture the password (especially on an unsecure network, such as public Wifi) and then try using your alantani.com password to access other accounts of yours that use the same password.  Also, please do not post any information on the site (including personal messages-PM's), that contain passwords, account numbers, social security numbers, or any information that should remain secure.

Currently we don't consider this a critical security risk to any members; however, we are in discussion about upgrading the site to HTTPS (secure) connection sometime in coming months.

Thank you,

Joe
Tightlines666
Sensei

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 10:55:10 AM »

HTTPS site conversions can come with problems of their own.  I vote leave it as it is, unless there is a strong reason to change.

John

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.
Rancanfish

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 03:11:33 PM »

None of these sites are truly secure if somebody wants to bite off a piece.

Just have to be cautious a bit.

Follow Joe's advice to the letter and the odds go way up in your favor.

Nor can I, 'ick the screeble'.
smnaguwa

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 01:49:56 PM »

Thanks.
conchydong

Pompano Beach, FL

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 02:47:07 PM »

I use the same password for fishing websites only. I don't feel a need for change unless the majority rules. For financial stuff, I have to look up my passwords in my personal binder as I cannot remember it as I use it very infrequently.
Dominick
Administrator

San Mateo, California

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2017, 03:45:55 PM »

I use https://www.lastpass.com/ for most of my passwords.  All you have to do is remember 1 password.  Lastpass will even generate secure passwords so you don't have to make them up.  Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day drinking beer.
whalebreath

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2017, 08:10:42 PM »

What password?
Dominick
Administrator

San Mateo, California

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2017, 09:10:47 PM »

What password?
Huh?  Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day drinking beer.
boon

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2017, 03:00:45 AM »

Hi smnaguwa,

Many browsers are now giving warnings to users when logging into sites that are not secure.  The AlanTani.com login is not currently secured.  It means that anything that you post or read on the site could be picked up on the networks through which you are connected.  This includes your AlanTani.com account password.  For this reason, do not use a a password on this site that is also used on another site that you access, especially a password used to access financial accounts.  If you were to do so, someone could capture the password (especially on an unsecure network, such as public Wifi) and then try using your alantani.com password to access other accounts of yours that use the same password.  Also, please do not post any information on the site (including personal messages-PM's), that contain passwords, account numbers, social security numbers, or any information that should remain secure.

Currently we don't consider this a critical security risk to any members; however, we are in discussion about upgrading the site to HTTPS (secure) connection sometime in coming months.

Thank you,

Joe

Good advice Smiley

Have you looked into just using a free certificate from letsencrypt.org?

fishgrain

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2017, 04:09:28 AM »

great write up Decker, thanks for the info. that is very helpful

-Jay
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: