My newest favorite Narrow Part II

Started by gstours, May 11, 2017, 03:44:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

As a fun reel project I was able to aquire a Pro Gear YTS n posted some of the modifications made to ready it for jigging up some halibuts or rockfish.

The reel will work without a rod clamp for now as the first test in actual fishing as it will be more comfortable that way.

A custom sst crank arm was fitted to increase cranking power.

The reel is held in a secure setting, with a prop under the forgrip its ready for a load test.! :-\ :-\

I was pleased with the initial results as this seemed like more drag pressure than I would be able to sustain for a long period of time on the rail or standing up.
  Here is 33 pounds of drag in lead hanging.  Still got a little more left too!   I,m not wanting to break anything at this stage.  I,m satisfied. :o

In all its a good looking reel, seems to be solid, with the upgrades it will use 80# tuffline. The steel gears will stand up im sure.  I like the 3.3 gear ratio for my style of fishing.  The reel seemed to have more room inside the sideplate for the taller gear sandwich too.  Butt i,l measure the gear and plate when its dissassembled again.  Rite now i,m ready to go Fishing. 8)
   Another thanks to Sal and Randy for the help in getting this going.    I hope to do another with another different drag package.  Playin is fun!    Ps.  I,m smoking some halibut and salmon rite now. ;D

Rancanfish

Gary,  all I can say is, Wow, you made an already sturdy reel into a beast. I went back to the other thread to look at your work a little more thoroughly and am amazed all over again.  I wish I had the guts to grind on mine to do the double dog.  I just use the Alan C's DD bridge.  And the gear/insert......

And you have time for the smoker too?  Smoked halibut is awesome I bet.  I had smoked sturgeon before and find the white meats more to my liking.  But if I have to eat smoked salmon I can suffer thru a half pound before I have to stop eating.   ;D

Thanks for posting this up, I was really anxiously waiting to see what you did to it.  And I sent you a pm.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

mrwilson99

Hi,

Where can I get the same handle/arm?

David
David

David Hall

Very nice reel Gary.  Let's see it with some real live weight on the end.

STRIPER LOU

Excellent work Gary. A great reel made even better. Those drag figures should kick some Butt!

.................Lou

Alto Mare

Gary, my back hurts just by looking at that last pic :). Good job!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Rancanfish

David & Lou,  FYI, you have seen this beast in action already.  This thread is his Pro Gear build from May.

The video's are the ones posted up of this reel and Dom's tank at work on big butts!
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

STRIPER LOU

Yes Randy, anytime you can lift a boat anchor with a reel, ya know its gonna work good!!!!!

.................Lou

gstours

The Stainless steel arm blanks I got from Alan Tani sales, and the grip knob is an Okuma product. (Makaira,Cavalla) they are cut and welded to fill my needs using a tig torch and finished on a belt grinder.    These are my go to for comfort and style.  The reel shown below has the arm as well,  Truly Custom. ;

The Okumas blank is sst.   weldable/strong. :)

The nice thing about dyo is you can make the length and offset as you desire.   

Maybe these pictures should be in another section butt,  its the arm/knob we are focusing on right? ???
This is a one of a kind on a Great Diawa 400h that has served me well.   Not much custom stuff is available over ther counter,  Butt is a great place for the dyo tinkerer.

Thats why it seemed natural to build or swap a gst handle for the first YTS build.    Ya its no Tank,  butt its sure a fun Toy!!!! :-*