Hello from Northern Illinois !

Started by Crow, May 11, 2017, 04:10:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crow

Hi, Everyone !
      I'm old, tired, and spend the winters on the Gulf Coast (Dauphin Island, Al.), and usually have fished the surf, there, for whiting, pompano, and the like. I have picked up a few BIG (to me , anyway !) black drum....and that's what prompted me to buy a "bucket full of Penns" at a yard sale while I was "on Island" , this last winter.
      Like me, they are old, and tired, and need all the TLC they can get ! Thanks to the "lurking" I've been doing on this site.......I've ordered a few Carbontex drag kits, and hope to "service" the reels this summer.  Without a tear down, I see nothing REALLY wrong, with any of them.....some boat rash and minor corrosion, so, my question is: How important are the stainless bridge / sleeve ? (there are 2 500's, a 49,  a 309, and a 350) The "heaviest" fishing I will be doing is setting one rod (while I'm jerking whiting) for drum, and a little "boat fishing" around the gas platforms (We catch lots of red snappers...can't keep 'em, but they sure are fun to catch....and some "rather large" redfish), and I'd like to set one "heavy" rig while I dip for sheephead. We plan on a "little" trolling, to, so I guess the 49 will be a trolling reel....it came spooled with monel wire......and , yes, I know, winter really isn't the best time to fish the northern Gulf for anything TOO big(the largest Black drum I've beached with my spinning tackle was just shy of 50#), but, I CAN hope, can't I ?! Anyway, this seems a great site , with lots of useful info !!
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

alantani

do standard service first.  that means a light coat of all purpose grease everywhere.  for the drag washers, make sure you have carbon fiber and that they have a light coat of cal's grease.  next i recommend a handle upgrade, or at least make sure you are happy with the handle that is on the reel.  then, go fish.  maybe fish a couple of times and then let's talk about any more upgrades.  but go fishing first!   

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=7535.0
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

foakes

Welcome, Madsen --

To answer your direct question about your Penns and the SS Sleeve and Bridge:

-- The reels may seem to have nothing major wrong with them -- Penns are forgiving and tough -- and will function on 3 wheels, sometimes 2 -- just fine for a long time.  

-- Having stated that, a complete tear-down, complete cleaning of all parts, inspection of each part for excessive wear, replacement of any worn parts such as an eccentric spring, clicker, yoke, etc. -- reassembly with modern Marine grease such as Yamalube or Penn, application of synthetic oil such as TSI321 -- would be the first step.

-- Grease all screws to allow easy service in the next year or two.

-- Make sure each reel has a rod clamp assembly.

-- Replace the drag stack with CF washers, lubed and impregnated with Cal's drag grease.

-- Add a new under gear washer of either Delrin, or a slightly smaller CF lightly dressed with Cal's.

-- Spool them up with your line of choice -- and go fishing -- see how you like them.

-- If down the road, you blow a set of gears, gouge a dog, tweak the stand and frame assembly -- that would be the time to consider upgrades...

-- Upgrades could consist of SS sleeves, bridge, double dogging, high performance drag stack, power handle, aluminum frame, SS gears, and much more -- including a lot of bling.  This cost of parts for an ultimate upgrade could approach $300 - $500, just for a Jigmaster 500.  You don't need to go there now -- clean and service, do the drags, become familiar with your equipment, fishing conditions, and comfort level -- then decide.

-- In the meantime, all you are talking about is maybe $9 for drags & under gear washer for each reel, $9 for 14 oz. of grease, $15 for oil, plus the satisfaction and accomplishment of learning and mastering your arsenal of Penn reels.

These are just personal opinions, other may have differing viewpoints -- however, this will get you started down the right road -- without taking that detour down the rabbit hole -- until you are sure you want to explore the maze.  And that is all good too -- but service, knowledge, and fishing your rigs should come first.

You can learn as much in 120 days of studying this site, and asking questions -- as most professional reel mechanics have learned in 10 or 15 years.

It is all here -- helpful folks, free and capable advice, both common and obscure parts availability, fun, and family (Ohana).

Best Regards,

Fred

NOTATION: Sorry, I did not see Alan's response above until after I posted this!
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Benni3

Welcome,,,,and if you like penn reels this is the right place  :D

Crow

Thanks for the welcomes, Guys !  No, I didn't figure on spending big $ on them (the whole bucketfull only cost me $35,...AFTER a bit of haggling!). And, I guess, my reason for the question about the stainless parts was, after all, guys fished these things for years and years, and caught a lot of fish with them, and, at "my age", and with the type of fishing I'm doing, does it make any sense....after I give them the "fishy test"....to spend $100, even on one of them, for upgrades....or is it wiser to put the 4 towards a newer reel?! My thoughts are, that...unless I get totally hooked on "tweeking"......they will do what I want....stock (with the CF drag kits, that is! ), as even though I fish *almost* everyday, for the 3 months we are there, that's REALLY not "hard fishing".
     Thanks again for the welcomes, and in a week, or so, when the drag kits arrive....I'll probably have more question, and maybe some pix of the "guts"...if they look to be questionable !.......................Crow
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

foakes

These reels have worked well for approaching 100 years with the same basic unchanged design.

You are much younger than that -- plus the fish haven't changed either... :) :) :)

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Bill B

Welcome from the Sacramento Delta...Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Keta

Hi.

Stock older Penn reels work.  Replace the drag washers with carbon fiber, Penn HT-100 or Smooooth Drag Carbontex, and go fish.  I fish for salmon with a Monofil 27 that has SS gear sleeve, AR dog and a drag stack I made using Bryan's 60 drag parts and .020 eared washers I had cut.

If you want to tinker pick out a reel and go for it, a 155, Surfmaster, Squidder, Jigmaster or Senator are good reel to start with.  Here is my order of priority,
1.  Drag washers
2. Aluminum spool
3. SS Gear sleeve and AR dog.
4. One piece frame.

Gear inserts or Pro Chalenger gears with the modern drag stack are nice to have too.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain