Cedros Status...?

Started by Aiala, May 13, 2017, 05:58:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aiala

As my June ROYAL STAR 7-day approaches, I'm wondering what's up with being able to fish Cedros? I've come across some random stuff about it possibly being restricted to boats under 35 feet, but I have no idea whether that's rumor or fact-based.

Anyone?  ???

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Swami805

I heard Benitos and Cedros to anything over 30' but not sure when it starts. 7 days is perfect for the lupe though. Can't go wrong on the Royal Star, if anyone  will get on the fish it's those guys. Should be a great trip,good luck!
Do what you can with that you have where you are

MarkT

I'm pretty sure it's closed now.  Guys on the last Shogun trip said they couldn't go there after Guadalupe was dead.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Aiala

Yeah, Guadalupe was a total dud for the SHOGUN. Tracy Toussaint told me that the STAR hasn't got 'lupe permits yet, although all their paperwork is complete and they're just waiting. I hope it all straightens out by mid-June... one thing I do NOT want to do is screw around with fifty thousand local boats chasing those stupid lockjawed BFTs for a week.   ::) 

~A~

SoCalAngler

Quote from: Aiala on May 13, 2017, 05:58:11 PM
As my June ROYAL STAR 7-day approaches, I'm wondering what's up with being able to fish Cedros? I've come across some random stuff about it possibly being restricted to boats under 35 feet, but I have no idea whether that's rumor or fact-based.

Anyone?  ???

~A~

Rumors run rampant so your best bet is to call the landing. With the way the local water temp is going, I have no data on whats going on off shore in the Pacific side in Mex, maybe Cedros is out but the "rocks" could come into play for hoos before several boats break up the fish. Also yft, yt and several fine eating/catching fish are there at the rocks. It seems the boats running around the bft (both sporties and net) are closer to American waters than further south. So if the boat chooses to fish the bft my bet is you will be in a range to catch some before they get hammered by anything and everything looking to kill them.

Good luck on your trip

Aiala

Quote from: SoCalAngler on May 14, 2017, 02:36:20 AM
Good luck on your trip.

Thanks! If by the "rocks" you mean Alijos, I HOPE-HOPE-HOPE we head there... I haven't been out that way in close to twenty years, and I'm frantic to go back.  :)

~A~

MarkT

You didn't hit the rocks on your 10 day last year? I got 7 Wahoo there last Sept.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

alantani

alijos on a 7 day is just brutal.  so much run time and so little fishing.  worst case scenario, cedros is closed, you don't have a guadalupe permit, bluefin on the way up and back have lockjaw, and the water at alijos is upside down at the rocks.  this san diego stuff is getting really tough.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Swami805

Have faith,if anyone can pull a rabbit outa the hat it's them. Alan's right about the rocks, would only leave you a few days to fish with no options close by. Still lots of time for conditions to striaten out too.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Aiala

Quote from: MarkT on May 14, 2017, 04:20:02 AM
You didn't hit the rocks on your 10 day last year? I got 7 Wahoo there last Sept.

No... Fleck was more interested in running all the way down to Cabo to try for big YFTs... of which 32 anglers caught two in two days. Really ticked me off, especially since Mike Pate had flown all the way from Georgia especially to fish Alijos. I won't ride EXCEL ever again.

~A~

Aiala

Quote from: alantani on May 14, 2017, 05:42:12 AM
Alijos on a 7-day is just brutal. So much run time and so little fishing. Worst case scenario, Cedros is closed, you don't have a Guadalupe permit, bluefin on the way up and back have lockjaw, and the water at Alijos is upside down at the rocks. This San Diego stuff is getting really tough.   :-\

Randy's driving my trip, I've known him for 20+ years, if there are any fish to be had, he'll find them.  8)

~A~

SoCalAngler

A 8 day trip is the norm for the ridge and rocks but if nothing else is happening those are a option. Yep it is a lot of travel but it may be worth it. Two years strait when I chartered the SOA we ran to the Lupe on 3 day trips. We would get to the island around 10 motor down to anchor around 11 and leave at sunset. Not a lot of fishing time for sure but the pay off was worth it when nothing was happening closer to home, well to those of us that caught fish that is. Fishing is always a roll of the dice and the captains and crews of LR boats want each and every trip to do well...that is what keeps people coming back. Think positive, fish hard if needed and I'm sure you will get your share. Not every trip is a trip of a lifetime.

Jim Fujitani

Quote from: Aiala on May 13, 2017, 07:48:14 PM
Yeah, Guadalupe was a total dud for the SHOGUN. Tracy Toussaint told me that the STAR hasn't got 'lupe permits yet, although all their paperwork is complete and they're just waiting. I hope it all straightens out by mid-June... one thing I do NOT want to do is screw around with fifty thousand local boats chasing those stupid lockjawed BFTs for a week.   ::) 

Randy's driving my trip, I've known him for 20+ years, if there are any fish to be had, he'll find them.  Cool

~A~

Here's to luck for your trip.  When it comes to having all of the papers (and ducks in a row), there still requires a little luck to assure that the first trip to the island still goes off as planned.  Randy, Traci, Tim, and Brian seem to have it together, along with Frank's oversight.  Our trip isn't until mid August, and we are never absolutely sure where we are going. 
I always take a range of rods and reels.  On our trip last August, five of my rods never left the rack and the reels never left my stateroom.  But the upside is less equipment to clean and service.