Dead Bait trolling Rigs

Started by Gfish, May 13, 2017, 06:08:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gfish

Anyone ever use a "Nitta Rig"?  It's an expensive little system(>$20 where I live). In my one and only (no-bites )test, it seemed to keep the Akule bait ridin almost perfect in the water. The mouth plug/ weight seems to accomplish this and keeps it from twirling un-naturally around. In  the first photo, I made a modification by threading the hook n' line from anus to out the mouth, and left out the plastic belly support(pictured in the 2nd photo) for my next test. Normally the belly support holds the hook with a zip tie, and a rubberband holds the hook/support in place on the fish body.

Also in the 3rd photo, I tried another mod. With my own belly support(probably material's too flimsy) and a double hook that may ride better. Hope I can get a chance to try it out tomorrow.

Overall it's a little complicated- this Nitta system - and best done at home, then bagged up and frozen, instead-a trying to do it on the boat/kayak.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Dominick

I haven't used one but it does look interesting.  $20.00 is ridiculous for a couple of pieces of plastic though.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Keta

Smaller but similar rigs work for salmon.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

philaroman

>$20 means buy one (or ask for a paperwork blow-up... nudge, nudge  ;) ;) ); deconstruct; build your own for a couple bucks

BTW, technically, if there's only one orifice for all evacuation/reproduction, it's "cloaca" rather than "anus" (even though there's an anal fin)...  not being a smarta$$ -- just like the word & use it every chance I get  :D

Gfish

Here's the attached/threaded double hook thing. In pic. #1 above, the"mouth plug" looks very un-natural and bulky but it stabilizes the system very well: a spike that sticks in under the lower jaw, a cap unscrews from the mouth tube, with a Rubber compression unit in it which squeezes your line, and you stick a stiff cable tie through the eye socket to cinch it securely to the head. Time to test!
Gfish
Philaroman, yes! Thanks, that's H.S. Biology and I forgot that cool latin word.
Gonna be tough to replicate the "mouth plug" part, though.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

David Hall

I've bought several of these various bait rigs, always end up going back to a regular old cut plug and double barbless hooks.  Works better for me and it's fully adjustable for spin.

Gfish

Ok. The rig I set up in pic. #1 above worked. A treble hook in the back that I attached( not showen in the photo.)got me an Uku(Grey snapper) 'bout 10 lbs. So, paying $22+change for the Nitta Rig was an economic gainer. Uku probably costs about $10/lb. for fillets in Costco (conservative estimate) and I got about 6-7 lbs. a pure meat, and I didn't lose the rig! However, I did lose the rig onna snag(rock) in the 4th picture, 2nd of my posts, -$7, hook darn!

Probably even cooler is that I just Tanked my 113 4/0 with Toms C.C. Side-plates and I'm still battin a 1000: 1-bite, 1-fish, first time usin the reel after tankin it. Could these plates be good luck!?! The conditions were rough, couldn't go too far out, but it was lots a fun fightin the fish and tryin to keep the kayak bow pointed into the waves. I didn't think I'd get any action, though. Hmmm, those plates?
Best to all the/your Mom's out there!
Gfish

philaroman

you can kiss the fish, but don't finger her cloaca  :o

Gfish

Good one! One a the funnier things I've ever read on this forum. :D
Gfish