Penn 49 side ring installation

Started by Crow, May 14, 2017, 01:20:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redsetta

QuoteDon't breath the dust though.
x2!
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

oc1

Bakelite can both shrink and swell.  It is the wood powder used as filler that absorbs moisture or releases moisture depending on the surrounding relative humidity.  If the shrinking and swelling is dramatic enough the bakelite will crack.  Museums and others that are really serious about preserving bakelite do so by stabilizing the relative humidity.
-steve

Alto Mare

Yep!, here is some more information on Bakelite, doesn't like humidity or continiously getting wet.
Now I see why Bill runs into so many up his way.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bakelite

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

foakes

Rings on Penns break for (3) reasons (or a combination of the 3) -- from my experience...

-- Swelling of the Bakelite plates

-- Corrosion weakening the underside of the rings due to salt allowed to remain after fishing

-- Overly aggressive tightening of the frame screws

On the first, if the plates are swollen -- just a few laps around the ring bed takes care of this -- after the rings are reinstalled -- nothing shows anyway.

On number two, this is cured in advance by greasing the underside of the rings and the frame screws with a Marine grease like Yamaha or Penn.

On number three, screws should be tightened snug -- but not over tight -- use a star pattern.

On more than a few occasions -- brand new rings will not fit older sideplates -- not because they are swollen -- but because there is a slight difference in the shape fit.

Just a few things I have noticed over the years.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Alto Mare

I will also add that twisting of the frame could also cause the rings to crack, this is only my speculation.
I did a 16/0 a while back with all of the screws bent.
That reel had both outer rings cracked by the screw holes, but only one crack each.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.