alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial Penn 49 side ring installation
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
September 22, 2017, 09:09:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Penn 49 side ring installation  (Read 983 times)
redsetta

Auckland, New Zealand

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2017, 12:08:33 PM »

Don't breath the dust though.
x2!

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer
oc1
Sensei

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2017, 01:06:15 PM »

Bakelite can both shrink and swell.  It is the wood powder used as filler that absorbs moisture or releases moisture depending on the surrounding relative humidity.  If the shrinking and swelling is dramatic enough the bakelite will crack.  Museums and others that are really serious about preserving bakelite do so by stabilizing the relative humidity.
-steve
Alto Mare

Southeastern Pennsylvania

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2017, 01:16:54 PM »

Yep!, here is some more information on Bakelite, doesn't like humidity or continiously getting wet.
Now I see why Bill runs into so many up his way.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bakelite

Sal
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 01:22:19 PM by Alto Mare » Logged

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.
foakes

Sierra National Forest

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2017, 04:55:03 PM »

Rings on Penns break for (3) reasons (or a combination of the 3) -- from my experience...

-- Swelling of the Bakelite plates

-- Corrosion weakening the underside of the rings due to salt allowed to remain after fishing

-- Overly aggressive tightening of the frame screws

On the first, if the plates are swollen -- just a few laps around the ring bed takes care of this -- after the rings are reinstalled -- nothing shows anyway.

On number two, this is cured in advance by greasing the underside of the rings and the frame screws with a Marine grease like Yamaha or Penn.

On number three, screws should be tightened snug -- but not over tight -- use a star pattern.

On more than a few occasions -- brand new rings will not fit older sideplates -- not because they are swollen -- but because there is a slight difference in the shape fit.

Just a few things I have noticed over the years.

Best,

Fred

Popular paths are the ones most traveled --

They are easily recognizable --

Since they are a parade of parrots, puppets, and pawnbrokers --

Find a better road, and make it your own --

Unlike the popular road -- where endpoints and destinations change like mirages --

A destination does not lie at the end of your road -- your destination is your road...

"At the Office"
Alto Mare

Southeastern Pennsylvania

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2017, 05:08:04 PM »

I will also add that twisting of the frame could also cause the rings to crack, this is only my speculation.
 I did a 16/0 a while back with all of the screws bent.
That reel had both outer rings cracked by the screw holes, but only one crack each.

Sal

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: