progear545 info

Started by Swami805, May 14, 2017, 01:31:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swami805

Greetings, I have a pro gear 545 frame and spool, has the bearings in it. I have a donor 113h and I know I need a yoke. What jack do I need? Also the eccentric spring from a 113h and 500 doesn't work, any idea which spring it takes. I have some parts reels, hoping I can get parts from them. Thanks Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

mhc

Hi Sheridan, Mine's got a jigmaster eccentric cam 19-250 and a jigmaster jack 11-99. Looks like a jigmaster eccentric spring as well.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

day0ne

A jigmaster yoke won't work on a 545 without modification. The 545 pinion is to big. At one time Bryan Young had some yokes made, check with him. I actually thought that a 113h eccentric spring would work. Guess I need to check one of my 545's.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Bryan Young

Sheridan,

I'll get the yoke out with the drag kit. Let me look at my 545 parts and I can send the eccentric spring as well. I know I have an extra.

I just got the drag washers from SmoothDrag so I'll be putting kits together shortly for PG 545/541/440/454/441 and Penn 113H series reels.

Sorry for the delays. It hasn't been a good year at all and still reeling in one thing at a time.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Swami805

Thanks Bryan, hope things turn around for you.
Thanks for the quick responses. Sheridan

Bryan Young

Hi Sheridan, did you got all of the parts that you needed?  I don't recall sending out an eccentric springs but maybe I did. I just cannot remember.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Swami805

Hi Bryan, no I haven't got the parts yet. I think I just need the yoke and eccentric spring. Did you send me something? I haven't got anything from you. Maybe it will come today. Thanks Sheridan

Swami805

Well I've been struggling getting this pro gear to work. I have the eccentric and jack(thanks for the tip MHC) the yoke from Bryan and I'm using the bridge and gears from a stock 113h,It dropped right in. It all goes back together fine but it won't shift at all like it's hanging up on something. Could it be the 2 springs are the wrong size and won't allow it to move? The springs are out of the 113h. Thanks Sheridan

Alto Mare

First thing I would check is the eccentric spring, you might have the wrong one, or a bent one.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Swami805

Here's a picture of the inside with the eccentric and spring that Bryan sent me. Using a Cortez lever and it seems smooth and working fine. Does it look ok?  Thanks

Alto Mare

Yes, the spring appears to be fine.
If the pinion goes all the way up on the spool shaft with very little force while trying it by hand, check the jack next.
I see a small rub mark on the right side of your plate, make sure the jack is the correct one.
If it is, check the tabs on it and make sure they're not bent.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Three se7ens

Quote from: Swami805 on June 16, 2017, 01:31:17 AM
Here's a picture of the inside with the eccentric and spring that Bryan sent me. Using a Cortez lever and it seems smooth and working fine. Does it look ok?  Thanks

I ran into that issue on mine, and traced it back to the eccentric spring dragging on the yoke.  File the end of the eccentric spring so its flush with the eccentric. 

Swami805

The top of the spring was hanging up, filed it flush and it's working. Also the sides of the jack were pretty tight so I took a bit off each side and now it's working nice and smooth.
The internals came out of a 113h with external drag and that top hat washer on top. I have a few donor reels here so I have parts to try and get the drag stack, star and handle to work. (Been picking up a few beaters for parts for some cortez side plate conversion  reels). I'll try a few combinations and see what works.
Thanks for your help, Sheridan

Swami805

By the way Tom are you using the lever you sell on your's? I put one on this one and hope it works out, good way to eliminate the O rings on the pro gear lever. Thanks

Alto Mare

Learn something every day, I have never needed to file down the tip of the eccentric spring on any of my 113H's and larger.
The tip of the spring gets really close to the Jack, right next to it, but does not drag on the Jack or Yoke.
I did need to file down that tip on many reels, as the JM and smaller, but never on the 113H's and up.
The 545 must be different, unless the lever is a little taller, causing it to travel a tab more, or the hole for the sprin on the eccentric is somehow positioned differently :-\.

I'm glad you got it to work.

Sal
Oh, I just noticed you have a JM size plate with the 113H gears. Yes the spring would do it!