Ocean City Long Key 140

Started by sharkman, May 14, 2017, 01:54:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharkman

Just purchased a Long Key 140 600 yd reel at flea market. The reel is fully functional. In process of cleaning up. Tried to find info on reel not a lot out there. I read the  reel is somewhere around 70 yrs old. Does anybody know any more info. Thanks

Penn Chronology

This OC is  pre-war model. Here it is in the 1939 Ocean City catalog.

Tightlines667

Here's a few of mine...
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

sharkman

Thanks for the replies. The stand is what drew me in on the reel. It is not the stamped steel. Somewhere I read the idea was copied from Von Hoffe or Coxe. Is the reel rare, hard to find, or is it one those just fix it and fish it

Penn Chronology

QuoteThanks for the replies. The stand is what drew me in on the reel. It is not the stamped steel. Somewhere I read the idea was copied from Von Hoffe or Coxe. Is the reel rare, hard to find, or is it one those just fix it and fish it

The reel is not rare but of all the Long Key models, the Model 140 --600 yard model is the most difficult to find. That stand is only used on the 600 yard Long Key, all the other Long Key models use a stamped stand. The model 140 stand is the stand that Ocean City used on its Big Game reels from the pre-war era. The Balboa and the Panama used that stand or a reasonable facsimile of it.

Fish it if you like; but it is worthy of the shelf also. Has a future as a collectible because,, of all the Long Key models, the Model 140 had the shortest production run.

sharkman

Thanks for the replies and information. Once get everything back together may have to fish it at least once.

Penn Chronology

QuoteThanks for the replies and information. Once get everything back together may have to fish it at least once.

Sounds like the right thing to do. I am sure this reel will handle whatever you get on it. These were tough reels.

Cheers,

Mike C.

sharkman

Finally got everything smoothed out. The stand is little rough and need to repair or replace knob.

Penn Chronology

These reels were usually heavily used, so corrosion is expected.... and those handle knobs were terrible. Some of them actually would melt. I had to make one from a piece of aluminum for my reel and paint it black, the shaft was still there but the plastic melted to nothing.

They are great reels.

sharkman

Mike thanks for all the information. When I took it apart I could not believe the beefiness of parts I guess this is why they last  forever.

Penn Chronology

QuoteMike thanks for all the information. When I took it apart I could not believe the beefiness of parts I guess this is why they last  forever.

Yup, very over built..

sharkman

New handle installed. Used penn torque spinning reel knob. I had to bore out to fit stud. The length of knob was perfect and the size is very close to original.

Penn Chronology

QuoteNew handle installed. Used penn torque spinning reel knob. I had to bore out to fit stud. The length of knob was perfect and the size is very close to original.

Cool, time to test it............. :)