Penn Master mariner 349

Started by Donnyboat, May 14, 2017, 07:02:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnyboat

Hi every one, I need the schematics for a Penn Marster Mariner 349 reel if anyone can help, I have vissited Mikes reel repairs could not find it there, cheers Don
Don, or donnyboat

Tightlines667

Go to Scott's Bait&Tackle for Penn parts, schematics, & specs...

https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Conventional.aspx#Mariner

Schematic for the 349 attached

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

mhc

G'day Don, The schematic John posted is the only one we have to work with (that I've seen anyway) but if your trying to work out which 349 you have it wont help much and the number on the side plate won't help either - the 349, 349H and 349HC all have '349' on the plate.
The 349 HC has 2 levers, the normal engage / disengage clutch lever plus a lever that disengages the anti reverse dog that lets you feed out line while still in gear. It uses the same gears as a 349H.
The 349 and 349H both look the same with one lever. As far as I know the only way to tell them apart is the gears (or gear ratio if the reel is assembled) The 349HC and 349H are 3.25:1 ratio with a larger main gear and smaller pinion gear with a ring to support it. The 349 is 2.3:1 and the larger pinion doesn't have a ring. There is a photo of the two gear sets on this post http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=21340.15 (I tried posting the photo here but photobucket has stopped working for me at the moment).
I learnt a lot from this thread George4741 started some time ago http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=2526.15  
Send me a PM if you still need parts, I've got some spares I could donate - I don't have a new stand like Fred offered but I've got one that will work plus a few drag washers and other bits and pieces.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Donnyboat

thanks John & Mike for your quick replies, very good John, I will get thems schematics, and Mike I will Take you up on the parts you wish to donate, Please send me a email to pat.don12302bigpond.com as my email address in my profile is incorrect for some reason or another, thanks I will check your profile if your email is with it I will contact you thanks again. i also sent Fred Oakes an email about the foot, he has not replied yet, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Keta

On Penn Parts schematic it says they used a 149 but with the exception of the AR dog it looks 349 to me.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

foakes

Sorry, Don --

I read your email -- and you said you also possibly needed some DAM Quick 550 parts -- and you would determine which parts and get back to me with a list.

That is all I was waiting for -- the stand is yours when you want it.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Donnyboat

Thanks for your reply Fred, considering Mike has a stand & a few other parts that he will send free of charge, I will except his offer, although I will compinsate Mike one way or the other, when I stript the reel down, I did notice that some of the parts did have a H on them, the reel I have restored and reconstructed, I turnt it over & it apears to turn 3 plus times to one, so maybe 3.25 to 1, so all I have to do with it is screw on a stand & when mike sends the drag washers over, I will cut some carbon fibre washers for it, i can open the drag from the outside, thanks every one for all your help, what a great groupe of people on this forum, just so helpful & kind, cheers Don. ps Mike I have sent you a message.
Don, or donnyboat

foakes

Excellent!

Thanks for your knowledge and generousity, Mike...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mikeysm

Smooth drag has a drag kit for the 349h.

Mike

Donnyboat

Mike thanks for the smoothdrag message, the freight from over seas is High also the exchange rate is a killer, smooth drag would do a better job than I, but I dont do to bad a job on them, and as I have retired I have the time to do it, thanks again everone for your replies, great stuff, cheers Don
Don, or donnyboat

mhc

Quote from: foakes on May 15, 2017, 01:32:05 AM
Excellent!

Thanks for your knowledge and generousity, Mike...

Best,

Fred

It's all good Fred, I'm just passing on what I learnt here - particularly from Lee (Keta) when it comes to the mariner family of reels.

Mike

Keta

I still have a pile of 349 and possably 1 349H set of 5 metal drag washers still.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

foakes

Here are some photos of Don's 349 Master Mariner -- before and after...

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Donnyboat

yes thanks for posting the photos for me Fred, just for other veiwers, I soaked the larger parts in vinegar 55%/ water 45% for 2 hours, and washed the smaller parts with CLR, while waiting for the vinegar to do its job, I then rinced in water, dried every thing, with a heat gun not to hot cleaned the bakelite with some brasso, then polished it with mothers wacks, but Alan said on one of the other posts, just use yamaha marine grease, as I screwed it together & got some grease on the bake lite, I could see the affect of the grease, the finnish is not perfect, but it was in bad shape before I started, however I will except any negetive comments, all a part of learning, all the parts were in real good condition, apart from to much thick grease restricting movement, and I love the handle now that I have it turning easy, made from plastic, great grip, now come on negetive comments please, every one, i have thick skin, cheers Don
Don, or donnyboat

mhc

Hi Don, good work cleaning up that old workhorse, you've saved it's life in the nick of time by the look of the before photos. That handle grip is pretty interesting - I'll take your word it is comfortable! :D
I'll let you know when I get the parts away - hopefully tomorrow. By the way, you might not be able to remove all the drag washers from the outside of that reel - the keyed washers and drag material washers will fit through the opening but I don't think the ears on the eared metal washers will fit through.

Mike