Penn Master mariner 349

Started by Donnyboat, May 14, 2017, 07:02:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnyboat

thanks Keta and Mike, i was surprized how good most of the parts were in this reel, I dont mind opening it to place any drag washer in it, the drag dog was it good order, did not have to touch the teeth on it, Lee I will wait and see what mike sends me, and if the parts fit, but thanks for the replies you have place on this post, good stuff mate, good Mike, thanks for all your trouble, will send you another email soon, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Keta

The six 37-49 cross bars can be replaced with three 37A-500S bars to stiffen up the frame.  If you nees a gear sleeve a 98-320 is not the same as the origonal 98-349 but they work,the 349's I fish all have Alan's SS 98-320AT gearsleeves, the other Alan (Pro Gear) also has high quality SS gear sleeves, 98-320PRO at MysticParts.

The first thing I do when making a reel for fishing is replace the 3 washer drag stack with a 5 washer set and replace the gear sleeve, then the cross bars.  If I get lucky I replace the heavy bronze spool with an aluminum one, they are realy made out of unobtanium and are not cheep if you can find one.

This halibut season, Pacific halibut, I will be fishing with a lefthand hotrodded 349H and a left hand 113H with Tib Narrow kit and Cortez sideplates.  If we end up fishing 700' and deeper I will break out my narowed 114H.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

El Pescador

Lee,

Let us not forget "the Other Alan (ProGear)"  also sells cross bars!!!!

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=12127.0

https://www.mkt.com/store/pro-challenger-llc/item/stainless-steel-cross-bar-for-penn-jigmaster

I know, they look GREAT on my 349H!

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Donnyboat

Thanks Lee & Wayne, I think it has SS gearing in it now, if I take it apart to redo the drag I will count the teeth, but they are in real good condition, the cross bars are firm, all the thread in them is good & firm, thanks cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Alto Mare

Awesome looking reel Wayne.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

El Pescador

Thanks Sal,

A local CL purchase, the person stood firm at $40, so I folded and gave him the money!

IT is part of my Cabo Killer series!

This reel, a Baja Special and the 114H WEX I purchased from you.

All set when Dominick calls.

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Donnyboat

Okay thanks Wayne, love your real, looks great, nice and sturdy, Domonic, or anyone else, if you take a cruiser to Western Australia, bring TSI 301 and TSI 321, also corrocion X grease & oil with you, plenty of it, the price is sky high over here, TSI 2ounce spray can in Perth is AU $39 cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Donnyboat

I received parts in the mail from Mike today, there was supposed to be, a foot, 1 or 2 drag washer, as a donation, well Mike has sent me two thirds of a reel, there really is some nice guys & gals in this world ay, a reflection of the good comerardery of this groupe on this forum, and Mike did not beleive me that the grip on the original handle, is nice and comfortable, Mike has sent me a replacement handle as well, hope fully I will get some photos on here of what Mike has sent, mike even apoligized for not cleaning the part for me, have a look the parts, they did not need any cleening, thanks again Mike, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

mhc

No problem Don, glad I could help. It's not that I didn't believe you about the original handle being comfortable, I just thought if you had a spare you could put the unusual one on your favorite reel.  ;D ;D

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Dominick

Quote from: Donnyboat on May 29, 2017, 07:10:37 AM
I received parts in the mail from Mike today, there was supposed to be, a foot, 1 or 2 drag washer, as a donation, well Mike has sent me two thirds of a reel, there really is some nice guys & gals in this world ay, a reflection of the good comerardery of this groupe on this forum, and Mike did not beleive me that the grip on the original handle, is nice and comfortable, Mike has sent me a replacement handle as well, hope fully I will get some photos on here of what Mike has sent, mike even apoligized for not cleaning the part for me, have a look the parts, they did not need any cleening, thanks again Mike, cheers Don.

Here is a reference to Donnyboat's photo he asked to post for him.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.