Any idea?

Started by the_reel_doc, May 14, 2017, 03:05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the_reel_doc

Have searched with no luck.

foakes

Looks like an old Roddy from the 60's...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

the_reel_doc

Tiddlerbasher

Fred is, as usual, right on the money, take a look at this link:

theswimmer

Mmmm Yup!
Got one somewhere 😎
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

Midway Tommy

Although, it might be a little later old Rodac, too.  ;) :
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

Good find, Tommy --

Roddy was a company started by Jerry & Rod Bernstein in the mid 50's.

They built rods (pretty decent rods) in Gardena, California.  Had a rod wrapping factory there in So-Cal.

Also assembled reels from parts manufactured in Japan.  So they were considered made in the USA on the boxes -- although frames were marked Japan.  Mid to lower quality reels -- good rods though -- particularly some of their ocean rods.

Company sold to an employee rod wrapper named Bernie Robinson in the late 50's or very early 60's.

Robinson also started a company called Rodac as a side business -- utilizing the same products and logos.

There were issues with the sale -- and Robinson was protecting his company and employees from a name infringement threatened lawsuit.

Roddy was subsequently sold to Berkley, who in turn sold it to Daiwa a few years later.

My first spinning reel was a Roddy in 1963.  I was 10 or 11.  Bought at Long's Drug Store.  Broke the stem on a camping trip when a toolbox in the back of a pickup truck slid into it.  I tried to repair it by drilling two holes and trying to wire it together with 12 guage copper wire.  This was not successful -- so the reel was replaced when I could save up some more money.

I have a few old Roddy's out in the bins.  No Rodac's to my memory, though.

Best,

Fred

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

oc1

I don't know anything about their reels, but Roddy blanks were very good in their day.  As good or better than Harnell, some would say.  They had a distinctive glass pattern and brown color.  One of the Roddy founders learned the ropes as a Harnell employee.
-steve

Swami805

I have some old Roddys, Budaheads,powermasters, BR's. They still fetch a fair amount of money for the right models and they fish well too. Nice old well built rods
Do what you can with that you have where you are

theswimmer

Somewhere I have very clean Berkley that looks just like that.
I will see if I can find it over the weekend.
Best,
Jonathan
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

Midway Tommy

Most Roddy spinners were made by Olympic or Daiwa, as were many of the Daisy-Heddons. There are a lot of similarities between some of the Daisy-Heddons & Roddys if one looks closely, and both claimed to be assembled in the USA. The Rodac I posted has a bent leg at the foot connection, as do many of the Daisy-Heddons, but the reel in question has a straight leg like a lot of Roddys. The Heddon Spin Matics and Roddy Gyros are basically the same reel, and the Daisy-Heddon 230 and Roddy 820A & 830 have the same body style with a main gear hump.

Back to the reel in question, I'm pretty sure the reel it's a Roddy 910A.

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)