alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial Penn 500 Offset Arm DONE!
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
May 26, 2017, 12:41:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Penn 500 Offset Arm DONE!  (Read 445 times)
striperstan and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.
WOTHoyt

« on: May 17, 2017, 07:15:19 AM »

Wellll I am needing help from the community again.  I bought a Motive offset arm for my Jigmaster and another for my 114H.  The 114H arm is no less that awesome.  In appearance and effect Adam's offset 114H arm is fantastic.

Now for the Jigmaster offset arm.  I used a Tiburon T-bar Lite knob and encountered this problem (see pictures).  I changed to another handle/knob and although better my thumb is still hitting the offset area of the handle.  I find it amazing that only 2 people have complained about the ergonomics of this arm.  The only way this arm works is with a round knob or your thumb capping the top of the T-bar knob like flicking a Bic Lighter  No adult can wrap a thumb around a T-bar handle and crank that offset arm without drawing blood. They have to adapt or compensate in some other way.  

What have other users come up with to make this arm work on a Jigmaster with a T bar handle/knob??

H~

* 500 arm handle 001.JPG (2860.15 KB, 3264x2448 - viewed 8 times.)

* 500 arm handle 007.JPG (2606.36 KB, 3264x2448 - viewed 9 times.)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 06:40:43 AM by WOTHoyt » Logged
STRIPER LOU
Sensei

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 08:22:28 AM »

I personally like the offset arms.

Of course a lot of things have to be taken into consideration. The  amount of offset and the position of the bend point so it will clear the largest star one might use within reason.

Moving the centerline back further over the reel is a great idea but can create other problems, ..  nothing is absolutely perfect.

If you notice I'll always ask if someone is going to use a flat or an offset arm with my knob. Reason being, depending on the arm itself (offset) I usually add 1/4" to the shaft length and sometimes a bit more if the person has a very large hand to compensate for this.

It nominally negates a bit of the purpose of the offset but it remedies some of the other problems that may occur.

That being said, Adam's arms are very popular here at the shop, are excellent sellers, and I've lost track of how many have gone out the door and have never received one back.

PS Please note the Tiburon lite knob was fitted with a flat handle from the factory.

A simple fix may be finding a knob with a longer shaft length and that should take care of your problem.

regard's,  ..  Lou
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 11:01:52 AM by STRIPER LOU » Logged
Three se7ens
Webmaster

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 07:35:45 PM »

Lou makes some good points, and its right in line with my design intent.  I cant possibly accommodate all knob variations, and the smaller sizes like the jigmaster and 113H versions are my best try at balancing the compromises.  Most people like shorter handles on small reels.  In the long position, these handles are longer than anything else I offer.  But I also need to have the bend far enough up to clear my drag stars when its used in the short position.  Even my jigmaster handles will still clear my 3" drag stars in the short position.  I do not want to sell parts that only work in certain combinations. 

Like I said in my email, Ill be happy to exchange it or give you a refund. 

Personally, I prefer small round knobs on anything smaller than a 6/0.  My offset handles work quite well with those.   

mitch27

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 06:09:37 AM »

Hi WOTHoyt  Thanks for this post. This happen to me also, I put the Knob on the other side of the blank . Work out nice for me. Maybe try it see what you think . Hope this helps .   mitch27
WOTHoyt

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 06:39:43 AM »

I was interested in how other people worked through this problem.  A longer shaft for the handle is an option but then you defeat the objective of the offset arm by hanging the knob further away from the reel's center-line.  But it still looks cool!

As I have been informed previously, most upgrade parts require adjustments in the final fitment and this one was no different.  I had to open up the handle hole to accept the Tiburon Lite handle so returning it is probably not an option after I modified it.  So that one is on me.

Although I do not like door knob style handles, I will most likely put one on a custom reel build and drift this offset arm on down the road.  I may try a paddle style handle before I give up on this arm.   I find AT's handles to be too heavy for my liking.   I will most likely pick up one of Adam's Counter Balanced arms and finish my personal reel with that.  Here's a couple pictures showing Penns 24-55, 3 hole power arm next to the Motive Offset arm.  Only real difference is the offset and material.  I may drill out the Penn arm and hang the Tib. handle.

Thank you all for sharing your knowledge and your creative ideas for using this arm as intended.

Not to be a kill joy with all my negative vibes, here is a picture of my 114H with his beautiful offset arm and his insert is in there too.  I am most pleased with these mods.

The Spring bite is on here in So Cal and folks are already nailing big Yellowfin, Bluefin and nice size Cali-Yellowtail.  Let's go get us some of that!

Hoyt

* Offset Crank Arm 114H 004.JPG (2674.02 KB, 3264x2448 - viewed 7 times.)

* 008.JPG (2847.34 KB, 3264x2448 - viewed 8 times.)

* 004.JPG (2739.87 KB, 3264x2448 - viewed 6 times.)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 09:48:54 AM by WOTHoyt » Logged
bhale1

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2017, 08:36:41 PM »

WOTHoyt,
I'm pretty new to all this "hot-rodding" stuff, but from an ergonomics standpoint it seems like the knob you pictured wouldn't allow much "wiggle" room for anything but a straight handle Huh? Seems like the design would definitely put your thumb joint in harm's way. Do they have a similar t-bar knob with less angle/ offset...that doesn't angle the the thumb so close to the handle? Like I said, I'm still learning.
Brett

Edit....could you maybe use some type of SS 1/8 inch spacer and a longer handle screw to move it just far away enough to help, without totally negating the advantages of the offset handle?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 08:46:51 PM by bhale1 » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: